Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
2 Pages12>
Who likes Santana ? what do u like ?
Highluv
#1 Posted : Saturday, September 23, 2006 5:19:14 AM(UTC)

Santana is the greatest guitar players ever and he really jams out hard ! who does every one else like ? We like all music but for guitar no questions asked top notch #1
DarkComedian
#2 Posted : Saturday, September 23, 2006 5:27:59 AM(UTC)

Doug Marsch from Built to Spill was heralded by Rolling Stone as the next Jimi Hendrix.  Having seen them several times (and a fluent flamenco guitarist myself) I'd have to agree.

If you like the Pixies or Modest Mouse you should check these guys out
LilyPond
#3 Posted : Saturday, September 23, 2006 8:48:04 AM(UTC)

Being more of a blues guitarist myself, I join the throngs of musicians who hail Clapton as "god of the guitar". I love most music styles...Liona Boyd is a phenominal classical guitARIST.
Highluv
#4 Posted : Saturday, September 23, 2006 3:55:47 PM(UTC)

If you like eric clapton then checkout this rare santana/eric clapton 23 minute jam its rather good if u want it u can find on any torentsearch engine mostlikely or if the file is in size range could it be uploaded around here?
DarkComedian
#5 Posted : Saturday, September 23, 2006 8:48:34 PM(UTC)

Highluv? �Are you Santana? �Jk I think he's cool too. �

I'm personally sick of the blues. �All the local bands around here play it and I'm burned out on the blues scale. �Eric C seems a bit dated for today's music. �And he doesn't seem to be contributing anything new anymore. �But that doesn't detract from his talent. �He has magic fingers, I just wish he was a little more experimental with his tunes.

LilyPond
#6 Posted : Sunday, September 24, 2006 2:05:23 PM(UTC)

Highluv, thanks for the tip, I'll check it out. DC, I agree that Santana is a superb player, but you surprise me, suggesting his stuff is dated. I can't believe you're only interested in what's new. New rock for the longest time has consisted of little but rhythm & power chords....commercially successful, but artistically flat. The musicians themselves have become bored. If you've noticed the music becoming more complex now, it's because these musicians are overcoming their boredom by challenging themselves...the results are beginning to show. Sorry, it's a subject I could rant on about for pages......
Moth
#7 Posted : Sunday, September 24, 2006 10:51:11 PM(UTC)

Santana is great! But there are soooooo many wonderful guitarists...a few of my favorite guys: Stevie Ray Vaughan, Joe Satriani, Robin Trower, BB King, Lenny Kravitz, Jimmy Page, Ted Nugent, Johnny Winter...

Are there any good female guitarists?
Moth
#8 Posted : Tuesday, September 26, 2006 4:01:49 AM(UTC)

Moth, I am totally with you on your reply!

As far as Female guitarists are concerned...let's try on Nancy Wilson, Lita Ford, Joan Jett, (yeah, I'm partial to the 80's) and on the bass side...I'll give a shout out to Shawyn from White Zombie!!!!

I myself have been playing guitar for 30+ Yrs, and my idols have always been... Toni Iommi (is by FAR my 1st \m/ ), Randy Rhodes, Eddie Van Halen, SRV, Alex Lifeson, Angus Young, Ritchie Blackmore, Jimmie Page, and of course Ol' slow hands Eric Clapton.

Honorable mention to Uncle Teddy, Peter Frampton and Krk Hammett!!!

And on the blues side, Bo Diddley (actually met him once, very cool dude) Muddy Waters, and of course B.B. KING!!!
Highluv
#9 Posted : Tuesday, September 26, 2006 3:49:51 PM(UTC)

Really any one who can play an instrument well or talently gets a thumbs up from me not saying any joe blow making noise is worth my ear but new is good and so is old we all love classics . let me know if any1 listend to the jam and what u think about it
Highluv
#10 Posted : Tuesday, September 26, 2006 3:59:47 PM(UTC)

guys & girls remember this was about >CARLOS SANTANA<             NOT ERIC CRAPTON lol... but no 1 will ever play better then carlos hes the man with picks 4 hands u really need to check out some of his older stuff like zebop and anything before 98 ! 1998 is when alot of people even heard of him with those lame songs with michelle branch rob thomas im not a teniebopper so i personally was mad when he sold out for this loser bands/songs its not my fault these no talent bums cant play instruments and needed carlos to save there carers lol................still......lol.........ok im done.  
DarkComedian
#11 Posted : Tuesday, September 26, 2006 5:24:36 PM(UTC)

[quote author=LilyPond link=1158988754/0#5 date=1159106723]DC, I agree that Santana is a superb player, but you surprise me, suggesting his stuff is dated. I can't believe you're only interested in what's new.[/quote]

I suggested Clapton was dated, not Santana.  And that does not suggest he (clapton) isn't a brilliant singer/guitarist/songwriter.  And I love classics but have heard them soooooo much.  I'm in a phase of searching out trailblazers.  Those who dare to be different.  Maybe it's because they need fan support much more then the Masters.

So in a way I guess I am interested in new music rather then old.  But I don't knock it.  To me Dated just means they haven't grown lately.  Some of my favorite bands are guilty of this.  

U2 is a good example of a classic band that strives to grow and explore every album.

Sorry highluv back to Santana.  
Highluv
#12 Posted : Saturday, September 30, 2006 2:23:34 AM(UTC)

If U Want to Hear A really Good Santana song "song of the wind"   one of my Favs its the instrumental but bettter then original its on our profile highluv in utherverse check us out.  our music player is being updated . we listen to everything all music so its all good
bobarcher
#13 Posted : Wednesday, October 04, 2006 12:07:06 AM(UTC)

Love Robin Trower...Have seen him 3 time in concert!   Neil Young, oh my god...none better...he is incredible live!  BBKing..see him live before he's gone...awesome!   Just A few of my favs....I am really into the harder side of rock...(Hatebreed, Lamb of God, Slipknot, etc)

but nothing like a well played guitar!

Highluv
#14 Posted : Friday, October 06, 2006 5:54:28 PM(UTC)

Rock on my friend ! neil youngs great to i do like slipknot the older stuff and metallica + tons oh yea pink floyd baby thats the goods so is well u get the point jam out to a joint <///>""
bobarcher
#15 Posted : Friday, October 06, 2006 8:08:41 PM(UTC)

Highluv...pass that joint over her....*cough*

LilyPond
#16 Posted : Friday, October 06, 2006 8:48:47 PM(UTC)

ermmmm.....next! Give it up, bob, I'll turn up "Comfortably Numb"....now if I could only get the smilies to work for me........
bobarcher
#17 Posted : Friday, October 06, 2006 11:35:52 PM(UTC)

passes to Lilypond...here, *cough*,you, *snick*, go....

bobarcher
#18 Posted : Friday, October 13, 2006 10:47:22 PM(UTC)

abraxas rocks
cyberian
#19 Posted : Saturday, October 14, 2006 5:08:56 AM(UTC)

Actually, your thread was 'Who likes Santana (damn near everyone!) AND "what do u like?" which was an open invite to list our OWN favorites.

Actually, I only plink at guitar, but worked for more than a few years as a professional pianist/organist/keyboardist, so I admire a wide range of genres.

But, as usual, when it comes to guitarists, people tend to overlook the country genre. There are some incredible finger pluckers that came straight out of Nashville.

Just to name two of the greats, and you might scoff, but if you check around, you'll find that the guitar greats of many higher profile genres also give kudos to these two...

Glen Campbell, and Roy Clark (yes, of "hee-haw' fame!). They are two virtuosoes, imho...not that I necessarily liked much of their commercial hits. But their mastery of their instrument was complete.

For classical, I am partial to Segovia

Classic rock, try Alvin Lee, of 10 Years After fame.

Folk Rock, I could listen to James Taylor pick and grin (or frown) all day long

I also like Stephen Stills, (better than Neil Young, purely as a guitarist)

For Alternative rock, I tip my hat to the late, great Frank Zappa.
osborne1
#20 Posted : Sunday, October 15, 2006 10:13:42 PM(UTC)

Carlos santana's style is legendary. One of only a handful of musicians who's work is instantly recognizable even if you haven't heard that peice before. I met him in coopersburg PA back in 94 at a small custom guitar shop. If any of you santana fans noticed a change in his sound around that time it's because of the guitar he picked up. The tension free neck this company was pioneering drastically increased clarity, brilliance and gave it sustain lasting well into next week. Harmonics were out of this world. You simply had to play one to believe it. Like no other guitar I ever played.

While I like clapton and aknowledge his talent, his guitar work isn't as singularly recognizable IMO. I always felt that guy back in the 60's meant to write "clapton is good" but mispelled it. �Bobarcher mentioned a name dear to my heart. Robin Trower! I'd love to see them again. Haunting, etherial blues at it's best! Mark knopfler from dire straits is another amazing ax man. He's just brilliant IMHO. As distinct and recognizable as carlos.

Other guitarists I particularly like are Adrian Belew, Steve Vie, Roy Clark and of course my teacher and close friend Edlee Connover.

Thanks Ed.
DragonRider
#21 Posted : Sunday, December 24, 2006 1:41:56 AM(UTC)

Carlos Santana would have to rate high on any list. But there are others who know their way around a pick. If you want to hear something different find something by Charro. She is a world class classical guitarist. Or listen to Jim Stafford when he isn't letting the silly songs get in the way.
DragonRider
#22 Posted : Thursday, March 15, 2007 2:23:07 PM(UTC)

There are many great male guitar players (on my list are about 60)--and noone can tell who`s the best.

But there is no doubt that there is only one great female guitar player....... :Smile

[size=20]NANCY WILSON[/size] of Heart

Hear her intro to the 1977 live video of "Crazy on you" and I am sure you will agree with me

My favourite guitar buster is Micheal Chapman...hear his song "Among the trees" and you know that he is one of the greatest.

Honda

PS I forgot: the all time greatest is.......ME....lolol ;D :D Wink :Smile Blushing Smile
biggcapone
#23 Posted : Thursday, March 22, 2007 4:20:58 AM(UTC)

Santana is a god.

I also dig Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix, Billy Gibbons, B.B. King, Eric Clapton, and of course, Chuck Berry.

Then there are Richie Sambora, Slash, Joe Perry, and Billy Gibbons.
SpikeyVelvet
#24 Posted : Sunday, December 09, 2007 4:11:51 AM(UTC)

trey anastasio from phish

all you santana freaks wanting to hear him and treys magic should really seek out some tapes from summer 1992

trey and carlos going back and forth...shit gets nasty Smile
cindyG
#25 Posted : Saturday, December 29, 2007 12:30:17 AM(UTC)

love listening to santana play, also love ted nugent, eddie van halen, jeff healey, and of course jimi hendrex