Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
3 Pages<123>
Clothing Texture How To
adultswim
#26 Posted : Friday, March 23, 2007 8:02:34 AM(UTC)

wow the geometry of the models are.... weird ... well the U.V map looks weird but I suppose it works right? Smile

[quote author=Shuqoyqa link=1162237320/0#18 date=1168686703]I see no reason why not, although you can't change the shape of the face, only the colours. You could certainly add all the necessary freckles, moles, scars, white areas in eyebrows etc to make a very close match, and / or do your own make-up, though.

Actually, we need freckles. Good call! Freckle time.[/quote]

well if you wanted the physical mesh to fatter or skinnier you would have to actually mess with the polygon itself. I'm not sure if they allow you to mess with the files though

My questions are:

can I use specular maps, bump maps and normal maps? If so then is there a *obj format version of the mesh we can edit and bring into maya to do the bump maps, etc then bring into the game?

can everyone view the new texture maps?

whats the texture map size? 1024x1024 (probably not that thats really high), 512x512,  256x256, 128x128, or 64x64?

Are we allowed to sell textures to people? I know second life allows their users to do that so I was wondering if you guys allow that here as well

[quote author=Adamski link=1162237320/0#10 date=1163189369]Hello all.

Im trying to make a batman costume, i'm using photoshop, i followed all of the instructions and gave up after 9 hours.

Can anyone give me some advice please?

Is it possible to download it from elsewhere?

Bruce Wayne[/quote]

okay that really depends. It's really easy because they basically gave you the U.V map for the texture (u.v mapping can be a pain). If you're trying to do maybe a character thats looks EXACTLY bruce wayne then that might not be possible. Okay the first reason why it wont work is because the mesh itself. It's doesnt have bat ears, theres no cape either. You would have to edit the mesh itself, (do you know how to model?) and  have to rig the cape. Thats actually alot of work. Yeah I sound like a geek because I'm going to school for this kind of stuff.

you'll probably have to texture a char that doesnt have ears and cape. I can try to help you if you want. Ummm just show me the U.V map and clothing. I'm not going to hand paint the textures because that requires a lot of time.
Shuqoyqa
#27 Posted : Friday, March 23, 2007 10:02:22 AM(UTC)

My textures thread has the UV map as a separate image if you want to download it. It also has a working Batgirl costume on page 2.  :D

There are links to download the texture files in .psd format in the first two posts in this thread, or you can build one as per the "Talk to the face; the boobs aren't listening" texture in my thread and play from there.

If you download from this thread, you'll get 512 x 256 female shirt and 512 x 512 female pants, but a lot of the issued pants textures are 256 x 256. You can actually use 128 x 128, 256 x 256, 512 x 512 or 1024 x 1024 and the software will scale it to fit. If you're using a pattern like camouflage and cloning in from a sample image (again, examples in my thread), you should use 512 x 512 pants to go with 512 x 256 shirt in order to get the blobs the same approximate size.

There are a few images in there which are huge, because I wanted the resolution for jewellery. Note that there is an upload file size limit and there are a lot of textures going up, so it would be sensible to restrict your use of 4x and 16x pixel-count textures to small areas of high definition, like jewellery and small, intricate tattoos, rather than using them for generic stuff. I did a shirt that way for the sake of the moon and sparkle, but I generally stick to the 512 x 256 shirts.

There's no bump-map, just colour. It actually goes on skin-tight. The 3D effect is achieved using 10% to 20% black in the clear space under the item, just a pixel or two wide, and a cloth-not-body-paint effect comes from drawing wrinkles on with Dodge and Burn tools, and can also be enhanced by using a simple pattern of similar shades not a single colour. See those "talk to the face" shirts, the red and glittered dresses and the sexyoldjoe shirt for examples.

Note that the UV map layer is not quite accurate, especially at the shoulders and at the break between arm and body, so you may find you need to colour in pixels that appear to be off-model to complete an item and delete other off-model pixels to remove a stripe from the side of an arm or neck.

The software uses pixel sampling, not averaging, so a dark area with single bright pixels will sparkle as the pattern of sampled pixels shifts around and includes or excludes the bright ones. This is a lot more effective when viewed by someone else further away than the software lets you put your own camera.

By manually editing the myinfo.ini file, as per this thread and the more recent one, you can wear underwear, outerwear and tattoos interchangeably. This means you can put underwear into the tattoo layer, outerwear into your underwear layer and a tattoo into the outerwear layer to get the tattoo on your shirt or jeans instead of on your skin. However, last time I was playing around like that I found that the crotch area of underwear becomes invisible when outerwear is worn, so you might want to restrict yoruself to doing shirts that way. You can also use the "wrong" texture for shoes to mix styles and colours. I haven't tried it yet but I presume you can use a square hair texture as a shoe texture if you really want to. You never know. It might be really cool, or something. See my thread, page 6, for me playing with this.

If you plan on doing a complicated two- or three-part texture, note that the distances between corresponding vertices around the waist on the pants and shirt textures are not the same. A single image pasted relative to one anchor point, e.g. front centre, will not quite line up.

Elsewhere, when wrapping over the edges of a texture, e.g. up right-hand side of torso and insides of arms and legs, the same thing occurs. This is particularly significant at the neck, the lower part of which is drawn two very different heights in the UV map. Count vertices from an obvious line, e.g. waist or ankle, to get a corresponding pair, and go by fractions of the distance to the next one.

If you draw a straight line along one polygon edge or within one polygon, it'll be straight, but if you draw it on or in two or more it could develop a stretch and/or kink because the polygons all stretch differently to fit the avatar. You might find that knees and elbows are not where you'd expect, too.

There's no way to usefully sell a finished texture, because people can't see you wearing it unless they have it too. You could try asking for PayPal donations in return for custom work, but you'll get gazumped by Rudy, blujns, me, steph, vixen, verycherrie, Monicka, sadwanker, sicklittlepig, TheAnimal and a few others all doing it for FUN.  Tongue

Have a read through threads. There is random info and discussion in many of them, including mention of the upload texture feature.
tracermav
#28 Posted : Monday, April 02, 2007 1:06:25 AM(UTC)

Ok, I'm trying to get this alpha channel thing figured out.  I think I've got it down, but I can't seem to be able to paste the alpha channel into the Layer Mask no matter what I do. I'm following the instructions but I just can't get it to work.  It keeps pasting into the paint section instead of the mask section.

Any help would be appreciated.

Another question, while I understand the benefits of using a layer mask, why can't I just save as a .png file with transparency?  Since the layers all get merged anyway when exporting as a .png, what's the difference?
tracermav
#29 Posted : Monday, April 02, 2007 5:05:35 AM(UTC)

Just letting you all know that I figured it out.   Smile

Let me show you what I did to get this working.

First I selected the Alpha Channel layer & copied

Next I went to the channels tab in my layer/channels/paths options box & made sure my channel ('My Tshirt Mask') was visible & selected.

Then I simply pasted the alpha channel in

And voila!! my tshirt has an alpha channel in the layer mask now

Anyway, I'm now realizing the cool effects I can do now with alpha channels, like fishnet patterns & many other things.
CelestialEcstasy
#30 Posted : Friday, April 20, 2007 5:55:58 AM(UTC)

Ok, I have tried this every way that I have found posted and for some reason..I can't even get to show up like this in the channels tab...it's solid black and will not paste onto the layer mask.  Also, in alpha channels options...am I supposed to be selecting "masked areas", "selected areas" or what??
Shuqoyqa
#31 Posted : Friday, April 20, 2007 9:51:55 AM(UTC)

The pink stuff is mask.

I really can't help with the photoshop muckaround but if you want to download Gimp 2.2 and install that, it's free and it does the job and I can do a click-by-click talk-through of making something in that if you want. If you ask nicely I'll include all the lines about "Swear at the stupid ****ing ******* machine that can't seem to take a ****ing hint that I ALWAYS want ****** transparent fill in my new textures and if I wanted to drag the whole ****ing thing out of place I'd have selected the ****ing drag tool not the *******-****ed select tool that's supposed to ****ing select stuff not ****** move it AND WHAT THE **** IS THAT BLUE LINE?!?!?"

Great programme, really. It's so incredibly counter-intuitive they must have built it for use by squid whose native language was Chinese or Finnish or something. It wasn't English, French, German, Dutch, Italian, Spanish or Arabic. Believe me, the keyboard shortcuts wouldn't make sense in Arabic either.
steph
#32 Posted : Friday, April 20, 2007 12:13:51 PM(UTC)

[quote author=Shuqoyqa link=1162237320/25#30 date=1177062715]I can do a click-by-click talk-through of making something in that if you want.[/quote]

If you did this I would be very interested Shu. I use paint.net to "slap" my bits together and although I have Gimp it's a bit daunting to me just to look at it. Blink Blushing

Quote:
If you ask nicely I'll include all the lines about "Swear at the stupid ****ing ******* machine that can't seem to take a ****ing hint that I ALWAYS want ****** transparent fill in my new textures and if I wanted to drag the whole ****ing thing out of place I'd have selected the ****ing drag tool not the *******-****ed select tool that's supposed to ****ing select stuff not ****** move it AND WHAT THE **** IS THAT BLUE LINE?!?!?"

Great programme, really. It's so incredibly counter-intuitive they must have built it for use by squid whose native language was Chinese or Finnish or something. It wasn't English, French, German, Dutch, Italian, Spanish or Arabic. Believe me, the keyboard shortcuts wouldn't make sense in Arabic either.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Shuqoyqa
#33 Posted : Thursday, May 03, 2007 5:34:58 AM(UTC)

The objective: Peter Pan as in a pantomime, i.e. Leading Boy, i.e. a female costume.

There's a good reason for this, specifically the flared bottom of his shirt and the absence of male skirts in RLC.

I don't have my much-handled old copy of Peter Pan here, so we'll go with the image all over the web, meaning Disney's version.

Opening the Gimp normally gives me three windows: main Gimp menu, Layers and Brushes. Today, just the main one opens so I open the other two with Ctrl-L and Ctrl-Shift-B. They're also available as File => Dialogs => Layers and File => Dialogs => Brushes, aka Alt-F D L and Alt-F D B.

The GIMP goes to the top-left of the screen, Layers goes alongside it and Brushes tucks in under Layers, giving me a large open area for the image file to the right of these.

Ctrl-O brings up the Open File window, which starts off by default in My Pictures. C: on the left then, in main box, Program Files, RedLightCenter, My RLC Stuff finally HFUT_shirt.psd, downloaded from the first two posts in this thread. That file appears in its own window, somewhere silly, at 100% zoom. I move it to the top-right and drag the bottom-left corner down to the taskbar and over to the Layers and Brushes windows to give myself lots of space.

It stays at 100% and that's too small, so I zoom in. At the top of the image window are menus, and View => Zoom => Zoom in, or Alt-V Z I or, most easily, + zooms in. Four times in goes to 400%, which makes it easier to see what I'm doing on a small scale but does limit the area I can see at a time.

In the Layers window are three layers: "Top", "Seams" and "UV coordinates". The UV layer is rather handy, even if it is wrong. I don't want the seam highlights or the existing 'shirt' design, though, so I click on 'Seams' to select that as my working layer and Ctrl-K clears it. Clicking on the word 'Shirt' selects that layer, and Ctrl-K clears it. What's left is a two-tone grey chequer pattern. Where this shows in the texture, skin (or underwear) will show on the avatar.

Rather than drawing this from blank, I'm going to copy a neckline that I already know works: my Dallas Cowboys outfit. To use this as a template I want it in its own layer. Top of the image window, Layer menu => New gets up a New Layer window. I call it DCC and click OK. Well, actually, no. I go Alt-L N DCC Alt-O, which amounts to the same thing. The new layer appears immediately on top of the one that was active at the time, i.e. below "Seams" and is now the active layer.

For clarity, I'll now rename the "Top" and "Seams" layers to what they'll be: Shirt and Collar. In the Layers window, right-click one and choose Edit Layer Attributes, type in a new name and click OK or Alt-O.

To get my collar template, I open the DCC top texture: UFUT_cheerleader_dallas_cowboys.png

This comes up in its own window. Note that this texture does extend all the way to the top-right and bottom-left corners, so it can only fit in one place. This is good, because Gimp pastes images centred and lining them up is hard. If you're pasting in an image that doesn't reach the corners it's probably best to paint little blobs into the corners of it first.

With the Cheerleader texture as the active window, only its one layer appears in the Layers window. Ctrl-A selects all of it and Ctrl-C copies. Clicking on the shirt.psd window makes it active and its four layers reappear in the Layers window. "Shirt" is active because I renamed it. I click the DCC layer and then Ctrl-V pastes in the DCC texture as a floating selection. This appears at the top of the layers window, and a lot of things won't work until this is positioned and anchored.

It can be anchored using Ctrl-H, or to do multiple copies of something like a fancy button Ctrl-V again which will anchor the current floating selection and make a new one on top of it. Thus I could drag a button into place, Ctrl-V, drag the new one into place, Ctrl-V et cetera. In this case there's only one thing to paste and it's pasted in position already, so just Ctrl-H.

To make Peter Pan's collar, I want the outline of the collar of this texture. I'll start with an ellipse selected at the back of the neck, using the allipse selection tool second from left in the top row in the GIMP window (or press E). In the lower half of the window, there are four Modes for each selection tool: define an area as the selection, add an area to the selection, remove an area from the selection or select the overlap of an area with the current selection. I usually use the Add mode.
Shuqoyqa
#34 Posted : Thursday, May 03, 2007 5:35:38 AM(UTC)

Note coords of pointer within image are shown bottom-left, black if it's inside the image, grey if it's outside.

In Add mode, click at 407,32 i.e. on the back of the neck just below the top of the collar, and drag the mouse away a short distance. This makes an ellipse in the space covered. Holding Ctrl and continuing to drag makes the ellipse centred on the click, expanding in all directions. Dragging to 459,53 surrounds the back of the collar but none of the blue of the shirt. Releasing there makes that the selection.

I also want the front, and have to get the inner bottom corners just right. The third tool in on the top row (or press F) is the noose selection tool, which free-draws until released then closes with a straight line. Take this and use it in Add mode so the selected back part will remain selected, and suddenly the UV lines are in the way so click the eye symbol next to the UV layer in the Layers window to hide that layer.

Click at 255,72 and drag down and right, then right to 284,80, around the collar and up within the white of the waistcoat to above the shoulder at or about 266,26 and left and down the middle of the neck to 220,72 or so. Release there to get the left side of the collar selected. On the other side, 159,72 to 128,84 and around the top will select the right side of the collar.

There's also a lot of white and shadow and empty space selected. Here's a job for the select-by-colour tool second from right in the top row and the overlap mode (right-hand mode button). The tool looks like a finger pointing at the green between yellow and red. Its options include a threshold for how different a colour can be and still be selected. The collar has highlights, so threshold 0 won't work here. Threshold 16 is plenty for the front, but misses part of the back.

The remedy for this is the rectangular select tool top-left of the tool box area (press R), in Add mode. If the cursor goes over a selected area of colour, it will turn to a four-way arrow, and clicking here will drag the selected area away rather than adding to it. Selected clear areas do not cause this, so I click at 377,30 and drag to 437,37 to get the pale part of the back of the collar. I now have all the blue of the collar and nothing else selected.

In the Layers window I click on Collar to work in that layer. The selection stays the same. I need a green colour. Below the tools in the Gimp window is a group consisting of a large black rectangle on top of a large white rectangle, with small black and white squares below-left and a double arrow above-right. These are the foreground and background colours, a button to revert to black and white and another to switch back and forth between them.

Double-clicking the foreground (black by default) rectangle brings up the Select Foreground Colour window, and isn't it pretty? In the left side is a large square, shading from greyscale at the bottom to pure colour at the top and from black on the left to full brightness on the right. Up the middle is a hue bar, basically a rainbow. On the right are hue, saturation, vividness, red, green and blue bars and a hexidecimal box. So many ways to enter a colour. Each has its uses.

In this case, I want a fairly rich green, and pure green is hue 120, so I put that into the hue number box top-right and the square goes from shades of red to shades of green. The very edges should mostly be avoided. A click on what looks like a good colour for a Peter Pan shirt hits Hue 120 Saturation 93 Vividness 92, also known as R16 G234 B16 or #10ea10. In the main Gimp menu, the foreground colour rectangle goes bright green.

To fill in the selected collar area, I use the pencil tool and a huge brush called Circle (19) and simply draw all over it. It will only draw on the selected areas, so I get my green collar shape.

To put the highlights back in, I use the Dodge & Burn tool, which looks like one of those Creme Brulee things, bottom-right of the tool box. This has two modes, dodge (brighten) and burn (darken), and three targets: shadows, midtones and highlights. For this, I want to dodge highlights. The exposure is how much effect it will have. Use small numbers, like 10 or 20, for most work, and smaller ones like 5 for doing multiple passes to get varied depths in an area.

In this case, Exposure 20 looks good to me. Choose a soft-edged brush. I use Circle Fuzzy (11) for this and make one pass down empty space next to the inner side of each front part and two along the top of the back, one touching the edge of the selected area and one slightly above there. To sharpen the edges I make an extra pass with Circle Fuzzy (05). To get a straight line, click on one end then Ctrl-Z to delete the little blob. Then go to the other end and hold Shift and click again.

This collar also needs a shadow to make it more convincing. This shadow should exist in the open space around it but not be on it. The easy way to get that is to invert the selection with Ctrl-I.

To do a shadow I need black, but my green colour hasn't been saved. The little black arrowhead button bottom-centre of the colour window will copy the current colour into the palette of 12 most recently used. Clicking the OK button will also do this. A colour from the image can be picked up when in pencil or paintbrush mode by Ctrl-clicking on it, but the colours in the image may have been changed with the dodge and burn tool.
Shuqoyqa
#35 Posted : Thursday, May 03, 2007 5:36:13 AM(UTC)

The little black and white squares button gets me black again, and the paintbrush tool next to the pencil is the one for this job as it does soft edges and the pencil doesn't. I set the paintbrush's opacity down to 10% and draw around all the edges of the collar except the top, then use Circle Fuzzy (03) to deepen the shadows at the bottom edges. Varied shadow depths can be achieved by moving the brush one side of the edge or the other along the way, but here I want it smooth.

I no longer need the DCC layer but I'll keep hold of it, just hide it by clicking on its eye symbol.

This collar needs a shirt, so I click the Shirt layer and that becomes active. I no longer need that collar outline, so Ctrl-Shift-A to select nothing. To get this shirt right I do need the UV coords again, so I bring that layer back into vision by clicking where its eye symbol was.

Other than the collar, this shirt has edges at the neckline and sleeve. To get these, I use the straight-line closing of the noose-select tool. Noose-select in Add mode 159,72, up through the collar, over the top of it, back down within the torso area and to 207,133 and release, and from 134,51 up, right, down through that selected area, left and up to 101,98 to get the shoulder but not the thumb. 255,72 up through the collar, right, down and in to 207,133 to get the left side of the neck.

Rectangle-select Add mode 92,103 to 170,260 to get the rigth side front torso, 165,140 to 520,260 to get the lower half of the torso, 0,228 to 100,260 to get the top of the arm part, 297,0 to 368,150 for the left shoulder, 443,0 to 520,150 for the right shoulder and 359,35 to 450,150 for the top of the middle back.

Back to noose tool and add mode to get the ragged edge. No matter how ragged it's drawn, it won't flop around, so this will have to be kept short. In this case, 0,214 to 8,214 then a hand-drawn zig-zag right to 84,214 and right to 100,214, then down off the bottom and left around the outside to close up. The shirt is now selected, and can be painted. Instead of using the pencil, though, it's easier to use the Fill tool for an area like this.
Four rows down on the left side is a silvery bucket tipping red ink to the right. That's Fill, and can fill with current foreground colour, current background colour or a texture, and it can fill the patch of colour clicked or the whole area. In this case, the entire layer is blank so either will work. Using "Fill whole selection", it doesn't matter where the click lands. I need my green shade back, so a click on the foreground colour brings that window back and I click the green I last used, then click in the image window. Ctrl-Shift-A to deselect.

I now have a green shirt, but it needs a shadow at the sleeve. This shadow should be deeper at the tops of the tears in the sleeve and lighter near the tips of the ragged bits. I'll do what I did for the necklace shadows here, then deepen parts of it. Alt-L N Shadow Alt-O gives me a new layer called Shadow on top of the Shirt layer. In Layers I then drag the Shirt layer up on top of the Shadow layer, rectangle-select the sleeve, Ctrl-C, click the new Shadow layer and Ctrl-V, and the duplicate sleeve appears slightly up from the existing one.

Clicking and dragging it will bring up Move numbers at the bottom of the image window. Aligning it with the existign one and releasing resets the count. From there, move 0,-2 is two pixels up. Ctrl-H plants it there. Select-by-colour the empty space, Ctrl-I to select it or just Select-by-colour on it, revert foreground colour to black and fill selection. There is now an opaque black shadow. At the top of the Layers window is an Opacity slider. Set it down to 10%.

Back to the shirt layer, select-by-colour, Define Selection mode and click empty space. This will ignore the shadows in the Shadow layer as those pixels are empty in the active layer. Paintbrush is still at 10% and black is still the chosen foreground colour. Circle Fuzzy (05) and click 6,216 then shift-click across the sleeve edge inside the green points of the hanging bits and at the tops of the clear areas between them.

Time to test it. Hide the UV layer and Ctrl-Shift-S to "save as". This brings up the save window. Give it a name and a file type, in this case UFUT_peterpan.png (in the hope that it'll keep the same name in the patch). To navigate around, click the "Browse for other folders" button, or Alt-B. Move to .../resources/female/textures, then save. If you navigate there first, Alt-N will highlight the filename box so you can type it in.
Press return and an "export file" window pops up. The .png format doesn't do layers, so it'll save a .png of the visible layers combined. That's why I hid the UV grid first. Next up is an options window for the .png format. No interlacing, max compression, okay (or just hit return, as that's the default settings) and it saves.

Enter RLC using a myinfo file that contains standard textures only so noone sees you naked, then open myinfo.ini and change the ClothingTorsoMap line to UFUT_peterpan.png and save. In RLC, Customise => Don't Change. You'll see your new texture but everyone else will still see you in what you were wearing before. No nudity, no grief. RLC isn't launching, so let's just assume this worked! *twitch*
Shuqoyqa
#36 Posted : Thursday, May 03, 2007 5:36:38 AM(UTC)

Next: the little bit that fills in between top and skirt. This could be separate from the stockings or tights or hose or whatever, but when did you ever see a bare-legged Peter Pan, no matter how hard you stare at the Leading Boy? Wink

Ctrl-O to open another file, this time my 512x512 UFUT_pants.psd from the start of this thread. Most of the textures are 256x256, but if you're copying camouflage or leopard fur in from a sample image you should use 512x512 so the scale stays the same on the avatar.

Position and enlarge as before. Click the Seams layer to select that. This is another two-layer job. Ctrl-K to clear it. One thing to notice about the legs textures: the edges aren't lined up the way they are on torso textures. You can't just draw a line straight across a leg here and expect it to meet up neatly on the avatar. Try it at *,259 to see what I mean. Go by fractions of the length of the blue lines.

One place the straight line does work is at 146, two-fifths of the way down the 132-to-167 on the inner edge and two-fifths of the way down the corresponding 136-to-161 on the outer edge. It's a fairly good place to stop a pair of shorts. Of course, our Leading Boy here isn't wearing shorts!

Where does a miniskirt sit, exactly? This could be hard to check if I can't get into RLC, but I'll go with a guess. Rectangle-select 0,0 to 511,48 and 246,0 to 263,200, use noose to add 200,48 round to 246,115 and 307,48 to 263,115, choose that shirt green and fill selection. That's easy.

Go to the Base Layer. Now, Peter pan's legs tend to be darker, so I could just get a darker shade of green and fill the rest, but legs look even better with some texture to them. This calls for a simple pattern of pixels.

First, I choose four similar shades of rich dark green, #128212, #117b11, #0f700f and #147014. With the pencil tool and the single pixel brush Circle (01), I do one dot of each colour in a tiny square in empty space. Then I get the clone tool, represented by a rubber stamp, second from left on the bottom row, and select Circle (19). The cursor starts out as a crossed-out circle withint that brush outline, and clicking will do nothing. This tool needs its source.

To choose a source, Ctrl-click a pixel. That pixel will be duplicated where you click. Ctrl-click the top-left pixel of the square, then click two below it, just below the bottom-left one. This provides another square. Click two more pixels down to make another two squares. Click to the right of the top-right pixel of the original square to duplicate these four down the side, and repeatedly click-and-drag to expand the area right and down. Once the area gets fairly large, dragging will scroll around wildly.

Rectangle-select a large patch and Ctrl-C Ctrl-V drag Ctrl-V drag Ctrl-V etc, lining up the distinctive pale pixels each time, to fill the layer. With both layers visible, this avoids the narrow partially-clear patch that would appear between the two if Ctrl-I was used.

Hide the UV layer and Save As ... in this case, UFUL_peterpan.png, although it might come back as UFWL judging by recent patches.
Shuqoyqa
#37 Posted : Thursday, May 03, 2007 5:36:58 AM(UTC)

Finally, the skirt.

Select the UV layer and paint a blob in each corner. Ctrl-A Ctrl-C to copy the whole layer, Ctrl-N. This will bring up a New Image window with the dimensions set to the size of whatever you've just copied. Click Advanced Options and set "fill with" to Transparency. Click Okay. If you've got a 512x512, scale it to 256x256.

Ctrl-V Ctrl-H to paste in and anchor the UV grid. This is just to give a guide to where the skirt will land.

Alt-L N plaid Alt-O to add a layer called Plaid. Open .../female/attachments/textures/HF_skirt_mini_plaid.jpg. Ctrl-A Ctrl-C and close it again. Go to your new file and Ctrl-V Ctrl-H. This gives a vertical guide to how much will be visible.

Alt-L N Skirt Alt-O to add a layer for the actual skirt. Drag the layer with the UV grid up the Layers window to the top.

Select the Skirt layer and select a rectangle from 0,0 to 256,40. Use the Ellipse selection tool in Add mode to also grab an ellipse centred at (click on this pixel then hold ctrl and drag) 128,40 48x32.

With the same ellipse tool still in Add mode, if you hold Ctrl while you click you get Remove mode. Hold Ctrl while clicking and dragging ellipses centred at 80,40 and 176,40 and also 48x32. This will give deep, rounded cuts on the fronts of both thighs with a rounded front hanging down.

Hide the Plaid layer, which is no longer needed, and suddenly there are empty places to click to select areas rather than dragging the image. This is very handy.

Add rectangles 176,20 to 200,40 and 53,17 to 80,40, then remove ellipses at 176,40 and 80,40, both 24x32 and add ellipses at 56,40 and 200,40 and rectangles 200,55 to 255,0 and 56,55 to 0,0.

With shirt green selected as foreground colour, fill selected area.

That's the bottom of the shirt, but there's still no dagger. I might add one some time but with all this typing this has taken most of four hours already.

Ctrl-Shift-S UF_skirt_peterpan.png and test all three together.

Try this:
Quote:
Foot=HF_Shoes3.msh
ClothingTorsoMap=UFUT_peterpan.png
ClothingLegMap=UFUL_peterpan.png
FootMap=shoe5_brown.jpg
Skirt=HF_skirt_mini.msh
SkirtMap=UF_skirt_peterpan.png

Now to put them in a thread.

Log into social.redlightcenter.com in one tab and bb.redlightcenter.com in another.

In social, click My Textures and click New Texture and upload all three parts.

Then post to the forums. Get your message open. On the My Textures page, click the thumbnail of one of your new textures, wait for it to load, right-click the image and click "Copy Image Location". In the message, type {img}Ctrl-V{/img} and return, then repeat for the other two new textures, then attach a screenshot if you want and post.
BluJns
#38 Posted : Thursday, May 03, 2007 5:52:30 AM(UTC)

Wow  Shuq, great job explaining this.  Im sure this will help alot.

((BIG HUGS))

Shuqoyqa
#39 Posted : Thursday, May 03, 2007 5:57:13 AM(UTC)

One last detail: going through these with the layered files still open or with the ones from my thread and recolouring them would be a fairly simple matter. Feel free. To recolour the legs, use select-by-colour (very logical keyboard shortcut is Shift-O) to select one shade of green and "Fill whole selection" to replace it with a shade of red or blue or whatever. If you use three very dark colours and bright red then, with the red ones still selected, scribble over it a bit with the pencil and a large brush and bright yellow you get some weird visual effects.

Oh, hi blu. Didn't see you there for a moment. Smile *hugs*

Just added a few recolours: blue, red and black.
steph
#40 Posted : Thursday, May 03, 2007 8:36:27 AM(UTC)

Blink Blink Blink

Well, I had to ask. ;D ;D

Thanks Shu. I'm saving it to read over and over again. (Should have absorbed some of it by the tenth re-read.) ;D
steph
#41 Posted : Tuesday, May 22, 2007 8:52:09 AM(UTC)

I am trying to make a female pants texture and when i load it into the game it doesn't show up.  Yes, I have it in the right directory and its a .png file.  What do I need to do?  I have followed this guide to no avail and have searched the forum before asking.

Here is the file its a mod of the xmas_cowgirl pants
Shuqoyqa
#42 Posted : Wednesday, May 23, 2007 6:06:48 AM(UTC)

It works for me.

In C:/Program Files/RedLightCenter/RedlightCenter/ find the file myinfo.ini and open it with Notepad, change the appropriate line to:

ClothingLegMap=UFUL_cowgirl_test.png

... and save it, then in RLC go Customise => Don't Change to see it.
bullet45acp
#43 Posted : Friday, May 25, 2007 7:46:53 PM(UTC)

What happened to the "My Textures" link.  I finally got around to making a T-Shirt, and I can't upload it...

Thanks,
Bullet
bullet45acp
#44 Posted : Friday, May 25, 2007 10:00:23 PM(UTC)

How can I include creases to my textures please?
Shuqoyqa
#45 Posted : Saturday, May 26, 2007 8:09:15 AM(UTC)

Your My Textures button is in very small text next do your default userpic on your RLC Social homepage and  this link should go there.

Adamski, I do wrinkles with the Dodge/Burn tool in Gimp, using a small, blurry brush and low exposure. Draw a few lines with Dodge for the upper sides of the wrinkles and then go along under them with Burn for the shaded undersides. Don't forget that the top-lit side of a wrinkle on the arm is below the shaded underside in the texture file. Keep the wrinkles small. On a shirt, I put them just above the waist where the fabric sags against a waistband. On the red dresses there are wrinkles radiating from the places where the laces pull the fabric tight, although they're a bit big and look more like a deliberate frothy fabric.

For gentler folding, use a larger brush and lower exposure. The Steph / SummerBreeze wedding dress skirt has a lot of dodge and burn strokes layered on top of each other on each layer of the skirt texture, and when I drew in the shadow under each layer I selected only what was empty space in that layer and not empty space in the next layer down and then drew the shadow (with Paintbrush, Circle Fuzzy (05) and black at 15% opacity, I think) not just along the edge of the skirt but along inside it in the darkened parts and just outside it in the brightened to give the shadow varied depth and extent to match the folds in the skirt:

bullet45acp
#46 Posted : Sunday, May 27, 2007 2:15:54 AM(UTC)

Thanks - I see it now..

Total brain fade...

Thanks,
Bullet
Shuqoyqa
#47 Posted : Saturday, June 02, 2007 5:00:20 AM(UTC)

To save a lot of bumping, here are the "how to wear" and "textures for dummies" threads.

[quote author=blujns link=1170239907/0#0 date=1170239907]to wear right clik on the pic and save to My Computer:C program files  redlightcenter redlightcenter resources female textures OR male  then edit your ini file:

My Computer:C program files  redlightcenter redlightcenter  look for myinfo  
The new system is alittle different now .
HeadMap=
EyeMap=
TorsoMap=
LegMap=
headMapDecal=
eyeMapDecal=
TorsoMapDecal=
LegMapDecal=
HeadMesh=
HeadState=idle
1stPerson=False
Scale=1.1
EarRing=
Eyebrow=
Lip=
Nose=
Nipple=
Navel=
Genital=
FaceMesh=
FootMesh=
Hair=HM_
HairMap=
Glasses=
GlassesMap=
Foot=
SkinHeadMap=
SkinEyeMap=
SkinTorsoMap=
SkinLegMap=
ClothingHeadMap=
ClothingEyeMap=
ClothingTorsoMap=UFUT_(filename).png ----- female dresses read:UMUT_(filename).png
ClothingLegMap=:UFUL_filename.png
SexClothingHeadMap=
SexClothingEyeMap=
SexClothingTorsoMap=
SexClothingLegMap=
TattooHeadMap=
TattooEyeMap=  
TattooTorsoMap=this is where your tats go for the upper body
TattooLegMap=lower body tattoos
FootMap=

Clothes go in the clothing section and tat's go in the tattoo section , Hope this helps Smiley if any questions feel free to ask[/quote]

[quote author=RudyVasalino link=1170239907/0#1 date=1170245311]DONT FORGET.. when ya change the MYINFO file.. click at the top of the MYINFO BOX ~ FILE.. SAVE AS.... then click SAVE.. It will tell you the file ALREADY EXISTS do you want to replace it.. click YES NEXT  minimize your myinfo file.. in case your changes didnt work

After you put the cloths ya want on... in your MYINFO File..... and ya want to change them, ya gotta click CUSTOM ~ DONT CHANGE... (it should put you in the cloths ya want to wear) if it was done right, THEN if they are the right ones.. click CUSTOM ~ SHOW CHANGES..

The files names HAVE TO BE EXACTLY alike.. with the .png or .jpg at the end of them[/quote]

[quote author=Shuqoyqa link=1170239907/0#2 date=1170248793]I recommend making a copy of MyInfo.ini before you start mucking around with it. That way you can get the make-up, tattoos, outfit and hair you've already chosen back very easily rather than clicking away through Customise for another hour.

"Don't Change" will copy the details from your saved MyInfo.ini file into the avatar you see in the customise window and running around, but because you (supposedly) didn't change ti doesn't bother telling anyone else about it. If you did change you'd (supposedly) have clicked "Show Changes", so that button shows everyone what you're now wearing in the customise window and also saves it to MyInfo.ini.
If you want to get the name of a particular texture or the hair colour line, you can log in, use Customise to get it on your avatar and click Save Changes to save it, then open MyInfo to see it. That's also what you have to do to change genders and check out a texture you've made for the other body type.
To show people your new texture, you have to edit MyInfo to include it where appropriate, save it, go into game, click "Customise" and "Don't Change" to copy it from MyInfo.ini to your view of your avatar and then click "Customise" and "Show Changes" to copy from your view to everyone else's view. If someone downloads it after that, you'll have to click "Show Changes" again for them to see it.

If "Don't Change" gives you the grey shirt with black ribbon at waist or crotchless blue three-quarter-length jeans, you've probably got the texture name wrong in MyInfo.

You don't actually need the old system's Decal lines any more. It's all done by the newer lines.

Some of them actually only appear if you're not using default, which is weird. You don't get a hair colour line if you have brown hair only if you have another colour, for example.

You can also deliberately wear underwear and outerwear the wrong way round or two layers of underwear but when you're showing both layers (little gold NUDE dolly) on the Legs textures, you get the "crotchless" look of that godawful default on the layer you're wearing underneath (in the SexClothingLegMap= line).

You can mix up the shoes too. There are two lines in there, one defining the style of your shoes and one defining the colour image used to colour them, just like clothing. Both are illustrated here. Skater works better than Daisies over that top, but the illustration's more obvious that way. The .msh file is the shoe shape and the .jpg is the colours.[/quote]
Shuqoyqa
#48 Posted : Saturday, June 02, 2007 5:05:20 AM(UTC)

[quote author=Shuqoyqa link=1170239907/0#15 date=1171614237]Also link to my thread: http://bb.redlightcenter...BB.pl?num=1166474747/90 because pages 7, 9 and 10 have some info that may help.

The first thing I'd check is the filetype extension. I got it wrong a few times choosing my texture from the thumbnail, clicking the filename and using ctrl-C ctrl-V to put it into the myinfo line and not adding the .png or .jpg required.

I think the clothes are all .png and the skins are all .jpg, but I could be wrong there. I did do Batgirl as .jpg the first time and it didn't work.

Next would be the directories. I occasionally have to move saved textures from the wrong gender's directory after a heavy download session.

Here are samples of myinfo for Leia:
Quote:
Foot=HF_Shoes1.msh
GlassesMap=
SkinHeadMap=HFCH001_NoMakeup_freckles.jpg
SkinEyeMap=HFUE_green.jpg
SkinTorsoMap=HFCT001_Ruby.jpg
SkinLegMap=HFCL001_Ruby_smooth.jpg
ClothingHeadMap=
ClothingEyeMap=
ClothingTorsoMap=UFWT_Leia.png
ClothingLegMap=
SexClothingHeadMap=
SexClothingEyeMap=
SexClothingTorsoMap=
SexClothingLegMap=
TattooHeadMap=
TattooEyeMap=
TattooTorsoMap=
TattooLegMap=
FootMap=
Skirt=HF_skirt_slit.msh
SkirtMap=HF_skirt_Leia.png

... normal Shuq look:
Quote:
Foot=HF_Shoes4.msh
GlassesMap=
SkinHeadMap=HFCH001_NoMakeup_freckles.jpg
SkinEyeMap=HFUE_green.jpg
SkinTorsoMap=HFCT001_Ruby.jpg
SkinLegMap=HFCL001_Ruby_smooth.jpg
ClothingHeadMap=
ClothingEyeMap=
ClothingTorsoMap=UFUT_poet_shirt.png
ClothingLegMap=UFUL_knots_and_laces.png

... and the nearest equivalent male outfit:
Quote:
SkinHeadMap=HMCH001_Spencer.jpg
SkinEyeMap=HMUE_blue.jpg
SkinTorsoMap=HMCT001_Spencer.jpg
SkinLegMap=HMCL001_Spencer.jpg
ClothingHeadMap=
ClothingEyeMap=
ClothingTorsoMap=UMUT_poetblack.png
ClothingLegMap=UMUL_knotslacesblack.png

Other things to check ... you might have created myinfo.txt and be editing that?

If you're already in-game when you edit myinfo.ini you need to customise and click "don't change" to load the info from myinfo.ini into your avatar. Customising and clicking "Show Changes" saves the avatar you already had into myinfo.ini

The way the programme was made, the Customise "next" and "previous" buttons cycle through the textures that were issued in the patch, not all the textures in your directory, so ones downloaded from the forum will not appear when you click through. You can only get them via manually editing myinfo.ini, saving that from Notepad and using the "Don't Change" button.

I hope that helps.[/quote]

[quote author=Shuqoyqa link=1170239907/0#17 date=1172214176]Another bump.

Step one: get myinfo.ini open in Notepad.

You can do this either by going through My Computer => C:/ => C:/Program Files/RedLightCenter/RedlightCenter, right-clicking the myinfo.ini file and choosing "Open with ..." and then clicking on
Notepad ...

... or by going to Start => All programs => Applications => Notepad, and ctrl-O (or alt-F O or click File and then Open) to get the "Open file" window up, at the bottom of which are two boxes, one for filename and one for file type. Click the "files of type" box and choose "all files (*.*)", so you can see things other than directories and .txt files, and click through as above to get to the RedlightCenter directory and double-click myinfo.ini (or click it once and press return or click it once and then click the Open button).

Step two: make the necessary changes. Examples of relevant lines can be found in the first post of this thread and in various places in the sticky and in my thread.

Step three: save it. Ctrl-S will do this, or you can click File and click Save.

Step four: if you're not in RLC, start RLC. If you're already in RLC, click the Customise button and then click Don't Change. This will copy the info from myinfo.ini (which you just saved in step three) onto your avatar in your view so you can see whether it worked. If you're happy with it, click Customise again and click Show Changes. This will copy the info from your avatar into myinfo.ini and also change the way your avatar appears to everybody else in RLC.

If someone downloads the textures you're wearing after you do all that, you need to repeat Customise => Show Changes for them to see it.

Sidenote: If you change stuff in Notepad and then want to change your shoes in RLC, do the Customise => Don't Change => Customise as above, then change shoes, then Show Changes. Note that this will not change what's in the Notepad window, so after changing stuff that way you should reload the .ini file. Otherwise you'll keep saving the version with the wrong shoes.[/quote]
Shuqoyqa
#49 Posted : Saturday, June 02, 2007 5:06:55 AM(UTC)

SLP's "Textures for Dummies" thread:

... and he said:
Quote:
please feel free to save any of these your like and then print out ..... this will make it easy for you to use later

if you have any problems after following all the steps ....

try again in case you have missed something

if you still have problems .... look me up and im happy to find a way to voice chat with you and take you step by step
SAsmTOP
#50 Posted : Friday, July 20, 2007 5:27:36 AM(UTC)

I may be posting this in the wrong thread, but it seems related...  if not, just shoot me, after all, I'm a noob.  ;D

In the varied instructions (great job, btw), I've noticed many references to the myinfo.ini

Being a programmer, geek, and generally nefarious person, I've already been into it (even as a greenie), and pretty much had figured it out already.

BUT, here's the question:

Is there a way to do multiple tattoos on a body part?  For example, multiple small tattoos on the front of the torso?  At the moment, the tattoos in question are in individual files, which is fine... but if I duplicate a tag ident line in the myinfo file, with the png files listed one per line, only the first tattoo shows up.

An obvious solution would be to edit (combine) the tattoos together, and use that file.  Which I did, and then realized nobody else could see it.  (Why would they...? I've got the file!)  I was doing this as a noob greenie (yes, I cheated), and hadn't yet figured out submitting textures, and all that fun stuff.

It seems redundant to combine tattoos that exist, then sending the combined file back, if there is a way to display multiple overlays of tattoos.... but then, I may be asking for the moon.

Just stretching the limits, and probably asking for something guaranteed to drive your programmer folks stark raving bonkers...  :Smile