Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
4 Pages<1234>
Dangers of Atheism
Mystique
#26 Posted : Monday, May 21, 2007 9:31:56 AM(UTC)

This subject has also cropped up in the Religion vs Science thread, where Mystique responded to one of my comments with the following. �

Quote:
Quote:
If someone could dominate, then that was enough justification. Noble virtues are primarily a product of religion. You've given examples of some humanist welfare organisations, but the fact remains that most welfare is provided by the religious.

Only because there are more religious people per capita than there are non - however, as I pointed out, per capita, more non religious contribute to such things. Thus, regardless of who overall is contributing more, per capita, the non religious at least seem to be putting out more effort.

There is certainly a lot of room to manouvre with these sorts of statistics, but the criticisms of Brooks' work have not been too damning thus far considering the nature of the subject. �But I'm curious to see presented here the source of Mystique's assertion quoted above. �You can certainly affirm that the figures are all bullshit and assert the opposite, but the difference is that he has done and presented considerable research, and not just making an assertion against something he doesn't like. �
Mystique
#27 Posted : Tuesday, May 22, 2007 2:36:18 AM(UTC)

>but the difference is that he has done and presented considerable research, and not just making an assertion against something he doesn't like.

Actually, no he hasn't. Or at least, not valid research. As to whether he is making an assertion against something he doesn't like, well, that's subjective.

In order to do valid research, you have to conduct a double-blind study. Just grabbing a bunch of figures from IRS records, and re-spouting figures from other research that has been done for an entirely different purpose, as Mr. Brooks has done, is not research at all. It's just pseudo-science with a psychology twist. �

For example, one of his observations is that older people tend to give more than younger people. And his conclusions from this observation? People care more as they get older.

But is this a valid conclusion? I certainly cared when I was younger. I think I cared just as much then as I do now. But when I was younger, I didn't have any money. You can't donate what you don't have. Unless you're born rich, you're simply not going to have as much to give when you are younger. That hardly has anything to do with how much you care, and hence, invalidates his conclusion.

Notice, I said "invalidates" his conclusion. That doesn't mean his conclusion is wrong, it just means there is no proof whatsoever for stating it. Might be right. Might be wrong. Might be somewhere in-between. We just don't know from the data given.

Bottom line: Mr. Brook's study is not a scientifically valid study. It sheds no light of truth. It gives us no information. It is, in fact, merely a political statement. Nothing more.

Once again, I don't say his conclusions are wrong, because I don't have the data to back up that claim. For all I know, they might be right. However, there is no proof provided, whatsoever, in his work to substantiate them. They could very easily be wrong. �

And as to that quote above "noble virtues are primarily a product of religion" is just plain silly. A great many noble virtues are the product of reason without religion, and a great many atrocities are the product of religion. That is not to say that religion is without noble virtues. Various religions have many good ones. And, that is not to say that pure reason and science is without its atrocities. Unfortunately, there have been some. But religion, and religious thought, do not have a monopoly on virtue.

>>But I'm curious to see presented here the source of Mystique's assertion quoted above.

Indeed. I agree with you there. I would also like to see the justification for that assertion. Until I see the data for it, I cannot determine whether or not it is a valid assertion. My suspicion is that this is merely the lovely Mystique�s personal opinion. She might very well be right. She might be wrong. But until we see a valid double-blind study to back it up, it�s just hearsay.

My own personal opinion � and again, it is just that, an opinion, with nothing whatsoever to back it up other than some mysterious conviction on my part � is that non-religious people give just about the same, per capita, as religious people do. Not substantially more, and not substantially less.
Mystique
#28 Posted : Wednesday, May 23, 2007 3:48:23 AM(UTC)

That's a very good point.

Being agnostic myself, I'm not sure exactly what I would experience. I do believe in the soul, but for the most part, I don't buy into the heaven or hell thing. I'm rather curious now as to what exactly would happen if I just up and died. Don't really feel like checking at the moment, but my time will come eventually I guess.
Mystique
#29 Posted : Wednesday, May 23, 2007 3:14:52 PM(UTC)

[quote author=Jela link=1162636212/0#23 date=1179501764]Some comments on religion and charity.[/quote]

Since other resources provided state otherwise regarding charity, then I question your source, just as you can question mine. Although, given the other related things I pointed out, such as the morality in secular vs. religious countries studies, it seems my resource is more valid. At least, that would be the more rational approach.

Mystique
#30 Posted : Thursday, May 24, 2007 10:21:01 AM(UTC)

You haven't provided any sources, and the "secular countries" misnomer has been dealt with elsewhere. �
Mystique
#31 Posted : Saturday, May 26, 2007 2:13:26 AM(UTC)

Quote:
And as to that quote above "noble virtues are primarily a product of religion" is just plain silly. A great many noble virtues are the product of reason without religion, and a great many atrocities are the product of religion. That is not to say that religion is without noble virtues. Various religions have many good ones. And, that is not to say that pure reason and science is without its atrocities. Unfortunately, there have been some. But religion, and religious thought, do not have a monopoly on virtue.

Enlightened self-interest can be a positive force, but we live in a world of strong emotions that can overwhelm enlightened self-interest, and push aside reason whenever they are aroused: desire, lust, resentment, hatred, greed. �One can call for reasonableness but it takes more to powerfully motivate people. �Movements of non-resistence, forgiveness and gentle, loving brotherhood like Buddhism, Christianity and the like, did not seem very rational at first, in a world of competing warlords where you needed to either be strong and violent to survive, or to know or serve someone who was strong and violent. �Sure it made sense that if everyone just loved each other and lived peacably together everyone would be better off, but that was not the world we lived in, and it was therefore not rational to live in some fantasy world of loving universal brotherhood. � And some people just didn't want that, they liked things just as they were because they were winning. �Gentleness was simply crushed underfoot. �We have had centuries to learn the collective power and stability that can grow out of these ideals, but they started as a religious vision of hope and optimism backed by an all powerful God. �Gentleness and enlightened self-interest seem more or less normal today, and therefore rational. �But a lot of people got crucified and variously dismembered to make that happen. �My comment: "noble virtues are primarily a product of religion" may well have been overstated, but secular virtue is in the habit of taking credit for victories won by men and women of religious conviction. �There have certainly been non-religious people of great strength and conviction too, some of whom have stood up for scientific truth against religious institutions at great personal cost (but a bit too much has been made of this); and some for fraternity, equality and liberty. �But religion; not the churches, but religion in the hearts of ordinary and extraordinary people; has been a powerful driving force behind this. �

When the Roman state appropriated Christianity, as was its habit, it carried on much as it always had, using religion in the same way it had previously used its armies, as it transmuted itself from the secular Roman Empire to the Holy Roman Empire using force and terror, raising itself on the wave of a global transformation of consciousness. �But at the heart of this Catholic empire was a set of ideals that bore the seeds of the dissolution of that kind of state. �As the Holy Roman Empire drummed its religious ideas into its citizens on pain of death, the glaring contradictions and hypocrisies of a religion of love behaving this way, made it virtually innevitable that people would begin to insist that these ideals be implemented truly. �As this process unfolded, first Protestant reform and then a general dispersion of thought from the dogma of the Catholic monolith took place. �Parallel to this we have the emergence of the Enlightenment and Renaissance, a reemergence of Greek and other learning; but into a new and modern world with a new set of ideals of peace, compassion and equality in which both learning and civilised living could thrive. �The Dark Ages constituted a pause in scientific development, but they were a time of a long working out of the soul of mankind, an introspective age where ideals and morals were sorted, examined and tested; and in true human fashion, every wrong way of doing things was tried and pursued to the nth degree before arriving at a new personal and social wisdom and morality. �From a culture in which ordinary citizens would go down to the local amphitheatre for an afternoon's secular entertainment watching other citizens be eaten alive by lions, through a culture in which ordinary citizens would gather in the local square to watch a local get burned alive at the stake for supposedly mystical reasons, to a supposedly "secular" society which would be sickened by the thought. �

While noble virtues might certainly be possessed by athiests, they are not the product of reason. �No value is the product of reason. �Values are a product of likes and dislikes, sentiments. �Reason can certainly be applied to values: "you value this because ... ", but at the end of the chain of reasoning, after the last "because" comes a sentiment or a desire. �Our sentiments and desires may themselves be a product of biological evolution, but that is not what gives them value. �In fact explaining these sentiments solely in terms of biological evolution robs them of value, since the value becomes illusory. �Sentiments have survival value because organisms that value life seek to protect it. �But nature doesn't care if we live or die, are happy or sad. �It didn't engineer the love of living *in order to* perpetuate us; it is just the accidental result of an accidental illusion of value, with no purpose. �There are no values in reason, but there are in sentiment. �Values just are. �
Mystique
#32 Posted : Friday, June 01, 2007 5:32:00 PM(UTC)

My view i guess is pretty simple, I live my life the best i can, i don't adhere to rule's and regulation's of one of the faith's out there in the world. I figure if i live my life the way i wan't without hurting anyone else, then if by chance there is an 'afterlife' as it were, I'll find out when i get there.

I'm a spiritual person a witch. Some of my friend's seem to need organised relgion some of them like a lifeline. I personally think life is to be lived with no rule's (except basic human one's).

If when the time come's it turn's out it's all true and i am judged hopefully they'll see i lived my life my way and hurt no-one else. What more could anyone wan't?

Darbi
Mystique
#33 Posted : Saturday, June 02, 2007 6:03:01 AM(UTC)

Sounds good. �I think that living "life the best I can", "without hurting anyone else" is a far cry from living life without any rules. �Those "basic human" rules are really the essence of religious belief, as opposed to the other basic human rules that are a product of our animal natures, those more akin to eating each other. �Organised religion has a lot to answer for, as does an attraction to organised religion primarily for the purpose of relinquishing independent decisionmaking in exchange for the feeling of being part of a group, be it a church or a subculture. �Organised religion has fallen prey to a lot of unnecessary rulemaking and has provided a home for a lot of fearful thought police who have too often adopted attitudes opposed to the kind of natural pleasures that make life meaningful, the gifts of creation. �Organised religion that sees itself as being opposed to science is due to embarrass itself, as are religionists who feel they must hide from it, and as is a science that makes philosophical pronouncements on what it cannot investigate. �

I think that leading a good life with a view that if there is an afterlife, you will have earned the right to be there, is religious belief: as long as not "hurting anyone else" is more than a negative avoidance of doing harm, but also encompasses some positive contribution to society. �I think it's understandable enough to resent and reject organised religion; but a rejection of organisation per-se, and of mainstream community, can be an excuse for selfish and ineffective living. �
Mystique
#34 Posted : Saturday, August 11, 2007 3:10:09 AM(UTC)

I have said this before and I will say it again now, THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS AN ATHEIST.
No human beeing has any solid reason not to believe in God.
Seks
#35 Posted : Monday, August 13, 2007 8:57:07 PM(UTC)

Well, first of all I want to ask anyone whether you have come across a person who had been to heaven or hell and told you what it was like. Did religions of the world evolved all naturally, just like that? Obviously, humans had a big role in it. Let me tell you something about me. I was born into a Christian family and raised under Christian environment. That doesn't mean I can go on with my life with whatever I was fed. There comes a time in your life when you question some fundamental issues like existence of God. It doesn't matter which side you are. I'm still questioning this very issue. I'm trying to deconstruct my mind. In fact, if you don't want to take chances, you just have to believe in God without mincing a word. You never know that finally one fine day the truth unravels that God really exists and then find yourself in big trouble. Having said that, critical mind doesn't mean you are an athiest. Sometimes it helps. You don't want to simply believe whatever is passed on to you. Personally, I feel religions have contributed a lot to destruction. What about humankind history replete with wars to promote a particular religion, for instance, Christian and Islam. Even now in the name of religion, violence is perpetrated, which we are witness to these facts. I have nothing against any religion whatsoever. Whichever faith you believe in is totally personal. I have no say in that personal aspect of a person. It's very true when Karl Marx said "religion is the opium of the masses". You want to keep your faith? Go ahead. The only thing is that blind faith is dangerous and that being atheist is much better than blind faith. What about me? Well, I'm caught in between atheist and believer. If I'm asked to take position, I would rather endorse atheism. As much as I've seen good deeds in religious people, I have also seen liberal atheists doing as much good for the society. I say that there's nothing such as "dangers of atheism" as "dangers of religions". �
Mystique
#36 Posted : Sunday, August 19, 2007 10:38:49 PM(UTC)

[quote author=pinkcat link=1162636212/25#33 date=1186801809]I have said this before and I will say it again now, THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS AN ATHEIST.
No human beeing has any solid reason not to believe in God. [/quote]

I'm here, and I'm atheist - In fact, in reality, you're atheist too, you're atheist regarding all the gods that people profess to believe in other than the one you claim. I would imagine you're atheist regarding the greek pantheon, and perhaps against many tribal deities. The fact of the matter is, I simply believe in one less god than you do.
Mystique
#37 Posted : Sunday, August 19, 2007 10:46:15 PM(UTC)

[quote author=Seks link=1162636212/25#34 date=1187038627]Well, first of all I want to ask anyone whether you have come across a person who had been to heaven or hell and told you what it was like. Did religions of the world evolved all naturally, just like that? Obviously, humans had a big role in it. Let me tell you something about me. I was born into a Christian family and raised under Christian environment. That doesn't mean I can go on with my life with whatever I was fed. There comes a time in your life when you question some fundamental issues like existence of God. It doesn't matter which side you are. I'm still questioning this very issue. I'm trying to deconstruct my mind. In fact, if you don't want to take chances, you just have to believe in God without mincing a word. You never know that finally one fine day the truth unravels that God really exists and then find yourself in big trouble.[/quote]

1) This argument is called "Pascal's Wager" and is fundamentally flawed when considering the vast array of deities that people have claimed. All one needs is for one of those deities to exist and your own to not, and it throws a wrench into the whole thing. If the existing god is a jealous god, even you're screwed, despite all your faith.

2) Any god who's ego depends on my belief in them when their alleged evidence is trivial, non existing, far from evident, and/or unacceptable for whatever other reason can certainly kiss my ass as I head to hell. I'd rather spend eternity burning in the hot ashes of Dante's Inferno than have to deal with an egotistical Tom Cruise of a god in heaven that can't deal with it when not everybody likes him. Especially when its that god's own fault when he's the one that allegedly created everything. That, of course, creates its own clear paradox, and is a great argument for atheism as well. Regardless, such an attitude from a world leader isn't tolerated, either.

Quote:
Having said that, critical mind doesn't mean you are an athiest.

No, a but it sure does help one become an atheist.

Quote:
Sometimes it helps. You don't want to simply believe whatever is passed on to you. Personally, I feel religions have contributed a lot to destruction. What about humankind history replete with wars to promote a particular religion, for instance, Christian and Islam. Even now in the name of religion, violence is perpetrated, which we are witness to these facts.

Agreed.

Quote:
I have nothing against any religion whatsoever. Whichever faith you believe in is totally personal. I have no say in that personal aspect of a person.

It is when people's personal beliefs stomp all over the rights of others that there is a problem - a very clear problem that should be addressed.

Quote:
It's very true when Karl Marx said "religion is the opium of the masses". You want to keep your faith? Go ahead. The only thing is that blind faith is dangerous and that being atheist is much better than blind faith. What about me? Well, I'm caught in between atheist and believer. If I'm asked to take position, I would rather endorse atheism. As much as I've seen good deeds in religious people, I have also seen liberal atheists doing as much good for the society. I say that there's nothing such as "dangers of atheism" as "dangers of religions".  

Merci beaucoup. I appreciate you making a statement.
Mystique
#38 Posted : Tuesday, August 21, 2007 1:21:47 PM(UTC)

Quote:
I'm here, and I'm atheist - In fact, in reality, you're atheist too, you're atheist regarding all the gods that people profess to believe in other than the one you claim. I would imagine you're atheist regarding the greek pantheon, and perhaps against many tribal deities. The fact of the matter is, I simply believe in one less god than you do.

In truth, the question of whether you believe in this god or that, is not a question over God's existence, but his nature. �You believe in the God that is described in the way that seems right to you. �Believing in no God, is an expression of the desire that there be no God. �

Not knowing there is a God, doubting that there is one, being unconvinced, is one thing; but the determination that there is none, and should be none, the assertion that others should not believe and are defective in some way for doing so, is an expression of desire. �A sincere heart is disappointed by the lack of evidence or faith, by the prospect that there may not be or is not a God. �It does not gloat over it and carp at believers. �

That said, of course, there is much to be critical of in religious individuals and institutions, as there is of the irreligious. �

Quote:
1) This argument is called "Pascal's Wager" and is fundamentally flawed when considering the vast array of deities that people have claimed. All one needs is for one of those deities to exist and your own to not, and it throws a wrench into the whole thing. If the existing god is a jealous god, even you're screwed, despite all your faith.

As a piece of logic Pascal's wager is flawed in numerous ways since it is highly selective in what it chooses to see. �If God is jealous and vindictive then even believing in him under the wrong name, or worshipping him using the wrong traditional practices could damn you just the same, as Mystique says. �Maybe you need to rape and pillage to get into heaven, and God finds all the praying and mercy a bit nauseating. �There isn't really a safe bet as Pascal's wager implies. �You stake your life whichever way you look at it. �Maybe God's a vindictive trickster who will only let you into heaven by what you least expect, by changing and inconsistent rules, or a trick question, by the capricious divine fiat of the moment. �

Because of the nature of spirit and our connection with it, our conceptions of God evolve as we do, with our ability to perceive and comprehend. �Maybe it's those who had vengeful, wrathful fathers who can see God in no other way, have no better image. �Or perhaps their God image is simply a projection of their own grasping self-centredness. �

Human beings evolved from beasts, and entrenched in our traditions are the records of our primitive and brutal past, preserved well beyond their relevance by the fearful dread of doing wrong and being punished for it by your own conception of the Almighty. �So that even if God Himself were to appear with a new testament it would probably simply be grafted onto the old, and admixed with fire, brimstone and murder. �

If God isn't vengeful and wrathful, then how will he respond to those who wish to believe He is, that He will rain down fire on their enemies rather than forgive them, that His kingdom will come in the wake of a tidal wave of blood as the non-believers are cleansed from the earth so that only the supposedly righteous remain to live for eternity in their homogenous utopia. �

Quote:
2) Any god who's ego depends on my belief in them when their alleged evidence is trivial, non existing, far from evident, and/or unacceptable for whatever other reason can certainly kiss my ass as I head to hell. I'd rather spend eternity burning in the hot ashes of Dante's Inferno than have to deal with an egotistical Tom Cruise of a god in heaven that can't deal with it when not everybody likes him. Especially when its that god's own fault when he's the one that allegedly created everything. That, of course, creates its own clear paradox, and is a great argument for atheism as well. Regardless, such an attitude from a world leader isn't tolerated, either.

It's fitting not to believe in an unfit God, and to honour what deserves to be honoured. �If you are going to believe in a God, it might as well be one that's worth believing in. �If you're wrong, you haven't really lost anything. �If there's no God, and you die, it's the same as you believed was going to happen to you anyway if you are an athiest, except you lived believing in something that was worth believing in, something great, even compared to all the other great things in life. �The problem with Pascal's wager is that enlightened self-interest is not sufficient to attain eternal life. �Where's the glory in that. �If God isn't really righteous, then, as Mystique says, fuck him, it's not worth being a part of His heaven. �A God worth believing in is not anti-living, anti-beauty, anti-joy or anti-freedom; although even a halfwit can discern that a few wise limitations here and there might be in order. �But Pascal's wager ignores the risk also that one lives a life of restraint, storing up "treasure in heaven" and missing out on all that life has to offer, when he should be reaching out as fast as he can for all he can get in his brief existence. �Some common sense might come in handy here. �

Mystique
#39 Posted : Tuesday, August 21, 2007 1:28:15 PM(UTC)

Snubbing God because you don't like how he's portrayed, avoids the real issue, which is the effort and progress toward a better representation/understanding of Him. �The substance of Pascal's wager is: that it doesn't make much sense to ignore an offer of eternal life if it may be available. �

The function of worshipping God is not to satisfy His ego. �It is to learn how to honour what ought to be honoured, and learning how to honour what is good wherever it appears in our lives. �Learing to open our hearts to the experience of what is good, and to manifest that in our lives. �Worshipping when real rather than ceremonial, is an experience of spirit, and by experiencing it we become vehicles for it. �Prayer is an experience of spirit, if not simply a shopping list of selfish desires. �

But faith too is an experience. �Belief in spirit is not simply a rule, a technical requirement the successful completion of which brings the reward of entry into paradise. �Belief in spirit is the experience of spirit. �The willingness to believe is the opening of the door to the experience of believing. �Our conceptions of experience are dominated, more or less completely by material thinking. �Something is real that can be seen, heard, smelled or touched. �But experience can be more direct than those mediated through our physical senses. �Even the dimly perceived glimpses of spirit open to us now can be exhilarating and life changeingly profound, not the result of arguments like Pascal's or instructions given to us by authority figures, or second or third hand evidence, but by the raw data of immediate experience. �Our concepts and logic too are dominated by the characteristics of matter, of simple, discrete elements and mathematically regular, repeating processes. �While our lives contain much that is regular and persistent, there is also much that is unique and unusual, things that don't remain long enough or remain still to be given a name. �But such things, while innaccessible to scientific investigation, are available to experience, and are experienced in their countless forms every day. �

Quote:
It is when people's personal beliefs stomp all over the rights of others that there is a problem - a very clear problem that should be addressed.

Quite so, but that is not religion, that is human nature. �
Mystique
#40 Posted : Thursday, August 23, 2007 7:02:16 PM(UTC)

[quote author=Jela link=1162636212/25#37 date=1187702507]In truth, the question of whether you believe in this god or that, is not a question over God's existence, but his nature.  You believe in the God that is described in the way that seems right to you.  Believing in no God, is an expression of the desire that there be no God.[/quote]

No, it is a statement that one believes in no god - however, if you read what I've been writing for a long time - that's not what I say. I lack belief in a god, which different than believing in 'no god'. This may not seem important to you, but is important when considering any significant philosophies. Lacking belief in a god just means I find the concept unbelievable.

Quote:
Not knowing there is a God, doubting that there is one, being unconvinced, is one thing; but the determination that there is none, and should be none, the assertion that others should not believe and are defective in some way for doing so, is an expression of desire.

Why, because you say so? That makes no sense.

Quote:
A sincere heart is disappointed by the lack of evidence or faith, by the prospect that there may not be or is not a God.  It does not gloat over it and carp at believers.

Again, why, because you say so? I've discussed on this forum why I get into these conversations. Just read the opening of this thread - does that not sound like an aggressive statements towards atheists to you? If someone picked on one specific trait of yours and pointed it out in a thread about you and yours, wouldn't you find it somewhat aversive? Imagine if it was a thread that said, "Dangers of Jela" (since I have no idea what ideology by which you would identify). Of course I'm bound to step in! What do you think would happen if people just passively accepted such behavior? Replace the word "atheism" in the title of this thread with any general trait, "mormonism," "liberalism," "conservatism," "hinduism," "tall people," "short people," "flat-nosed people," "black people," "clerks," "ranchers" .... need I continue? If this was directed at you, would you just passively take it?

Quote:
That said, of course, there is much to be critical of in religious individuals and institutions, as there is of the irreligious.

Is there now? There's one difference of note, though. Religion is institutionalized, led by a single or group of ideas, whereas lack of religion is not. There's not a common thread for atheists other than a lack of belief. Most are not organized (though in recent years there has been an increase in atheist activists due to animosity that others express towards them and the violation of the rights of atheists). While one can blame the pope and catholicism for the campaign against condoms in Africa, one can't blame atheists for anything similar. Hell, even in the activist movements we see going on now atheists disagree on how it should be carried out. When the Rational Response Squad started, I had a conversation with Brian Sapient on Skype about which methods would be positive in his efforts and which I thought would not be. We did disagree on some things, but agreed on others. And I'm flattered when he does ask for my input. Atheists don't have a common creed, and they don't all follow the same ethical backing. Hence, we can blame Christianity for the inquisition, but can't blame atheism for similar. Keep in mind, though, that I don't even blame just religion for all similar events. Indeed, there are vast tragedies that occur because of what causes many of these issues that religion has been linked to. Dogmatic thought is probably one of the most evil human behaviors in existence, coupled with herd behavior and people can be very harmful to themselves and each other, indeed.

Quote:
As a piece of logic Pascal's wager is flawed in numerous ways since it is highly selective in what it chooses to see.  If God is jealous and vindictive then even believing in him under the wrong name, or worshipping him using the wrong traditional practices could damn you just the same, as Mystique says.  Maybe you need to rape and pillage to get into heaven, and God finds all the praying and mercy a bit nauseating.  There isn't really a safe bet as Pascal's wager implies.  You stake your life whichever way you look at it.  Maybe God's a vindictive trickster who will only let you into heaven by what you least expect, by changing and inconsistent rules, or a trick question, by the capricious divine fiat of the moment.

Excuse me while I recover from the shock of you agreeing with me ....

= (  o )  (  o ) =
=         ^       =
=         0       =

I think I need some coffee.

Quote:
Because of the nature of spirit and our connection with it, our conceptions of God evolve as we do, with our ability to perceive and comprehend.  Maybe it's those who had vengeful, wrathful fathers who can see God in no other way, have no better image.  Or perhaps their God image is simply a projection of their own grasping self-centredness.

The nature of the spirit? It seems to me that such fickleness would cast such a concept deep into doubt. I don't think that only people who have wrathful parents see god the way that was described. I've personally known at least some who didn't have vindictive, cruel parents who believe in cruel deities. I think it is those who are taught about a cruel deity who sometimes believe in them. I think it is because of their credulity.

(continued next post)
Mystique
#41 Posted : Thursday, August 23, 2007 7:03:08 PM(UTC)

Quote:
Some common sense might come in handy here.  Snubbing God because you don't like how he's portrayed, avoids the real issue, which is the effort and progress toward a better representation/understanding of Him.

You do realize that my lack of belief has little to do with Pascal's wager - and that my response to the wager above is simply that, a response to something someone presented. If you're out to address why I'm an atheist, then you have to address the problem of evidence. If I am to believe in a deity, I want proof. And I am a real bitch about it. If my neighbor claimed that he had a large purple and green spotted dragon in his garage that he was using to determine which parts of my lawn to throw debris into, I'd demand the same of him should he not want me to dismiss him as a complete nutjob. In most contexts, I don't even discuss religion with people, because in most contexts, it doesn't matter. However, the moment religion interferes with something in my life, the moment I see it stomping out the rights of others, or playing a role in something that denies people their own rights. The moment I detect it being harmful - that's when I'm going to step in, and that's when, if someone is going to claim religion as a motivation for their behavior, I demand proof.

Quote:
The substance of Pascal's wager is: that it doesn't make much sense to ignore an offer of eternal life if it may be available.

Of course it does. Under the conditions I mentioned above, I'd totally be willing to suffer, to die, to cease existing totally if it meant avoiding the evil that would be behind such a vile and vindictive creature. Hell, I would say that for nearly every deity I have ever read about. Most claim to have created this world that we're in - where people cling to trees in gigantic storms after having witnessed their families being washed away in floodwaters and torn to shreds by debris, where millions go hungry all the time, where I can walk just down the road and encounter too many hungry people for even me to be able to help much. In this place, where humans are allowed to cut each other apart over religious ideals and conflicts over land and where diseases exist to slowly eat us from the inside out. Of course this is a very pessimistic view of the wonders of life, but I also see it as putting credit where others say credit is due. If there really was an all-powerful being who desires any form of recognition at all from myself, then that being is responsible for all that I have mentioned and I am not beyond placing all of that right at their feet. Such a being, if they really existed, would be quite capable of knowing why I would do such a thing, because such a creature is truly evil to us. If eternal life is the reward one gets for *not* laying all that at the base of some deistic throne, then I'm just stubborn enough to take that. Regardless of all of this, though, I still demand proof. Just someone suggesting the chance of something to me is insufficient for me to bow down to accepting such a trivial thing. There's a chance that Neil DeGrasse could come knocking on my door offering to teach me more about physics and to enter into some fantastic, amorous liaison with me (perhaps in some alternate dimension in time and space where bunnies sprout wings or something) - but I'm not going to accept that just for the sake of there being a speculative opportunity. The same logic is what applies to your point on pascal's wager.

Quote:
It is to learn how to honour what ought to be honoured, and learning how to honour what is good wherever it appears in our lives.  Learing to open our hearts to the experience of what is good, and to manifest that in our lives.  ... Prayer is an experience of spirit, if not simply a shopping list of selfish desires.

Who determines what "ought to be honoured"? I, for one, don't have the time to honour something with so little evidence. I need my time for other things, working, studying, helping people where I can. There is far more that can be accomplished through passing out food, giving people resources, and addressing immediate social issues than can be accomplished through kneeling and talking into nothingness.

Quote:
But such things, while innaccessible to scientific investigation, are available to experience, and are experienced in their countless forms every day.

Just like doubting the experience of women talking to god and being told to kill their own children, I doubt the experiences of others who claim supernatural events. I want the hard data because it is consistent. Were it as unpredictable of individual 'experience' I would find it equally flawed and would seek another method on which to base my thoughts. Where science produces the same results repeatedly and things are upheld, that's where I want to be. I want to base my life on things that have been thoroughly tested, not speculated and guessed at - or which just appeared out of no source other than someone's vivid imagination.

Quote:
Quite so, but that is not religion, that is human nature.

"Human nature" is too ambiguous to use there. Also, it seems to dismiss the responsibilities that people have regarding their behavior. I prefer to point to the problem directly. It isn't religion, it is dogma and herd behavior. These are things that some people do escape, leading me to believe that there is at least some room for human accountability.
Mystique
#42 Posted : Friday, August 24, 2007 1:32:26 PM(UTC)

Quote:
Quote:
The substance of Pascal's wager is: that it doesn't make much sense to ignore an offer of eternal life if it may be available.

Of course it does. Under the conditions I mentioned above, I'd totally be willing to suffer, to die, to cease existing totally if it meant avoiding the evil that would be behind such a vile and vindictive creature.

I didn't say it made no sense under any conditions. �I already agreed that: "If God isn't really righteous, then, as Mystique says, fuck him, it's not worth being a part of His heaven". �What doesn't make much sense is turning down eternal happiness offered by a wise and loving God. �That is the possibility that doesn't interest you. �

Quote:
Hell, I would say that for nearly every deity I have ever read about. Most claim to have created this world that we're in - where people cling to trees in gigantic storms after having witnessed their families being washed away in floodwaters and torn to shreds by debris, where millions go hungry all the time, where I can walk just down the road and encounter too many hungry people for even me to be able to help much. In this place, where humans are allowed to cut each other apart over religious ideals and conflicts over land and where diseases exist to slowly eat us from the inside out. Of course this is a very pessimistic view of the wonders of life, but I also see it as putting credit where others say credit is due. If there really was an all-powerful being who desires any form of recognition at all from myself, then that being is responsible for all that I have mentioned and I am not beyond placing all of that right at their feet. Such a being, if they really existed, would be quite capable of knowing why I would do such a thing, because such a creature is truly evil to us. If eternal life is the reward one gets for *not* laying all that at the base of some deistic throne, then I'm just stubborn enough to take that.

It isn't exactly that He desires recognition. �He is pointing toward good things to come, that this is not all there is, offering solace, support and guidance. �

You are largely laying the blame at the right feet. �We are born into a world of terrors. �But most of the terror that we experience at the prospect of death, is the belief that this is the only life we will ever have. �And much of the pain of suffering, is that we are using up time of the only life we have with it. �But think of it this way: Did your mother have a difficult labour? �When you were born, was it painful for you? �You might have been screaming your head off at the time, convinced you were having the most awful experience possible. �But what of it would you remember now, and what would it matter? �We are eternal beings. �The time we spend here on earth is the blink of an eye. �The first moment of eyes opening to consciousness in a long and glorious career. �Whatever you suffer here, will be overcome, and in the end, all that will remain of the experience is the value it has given you; the strength, wisdom, patience and mercy. �

God can and has created perfection, and it is here with us now. �But He also created more. �We live in a universe of more than perfection. �We are a special project. �Creatures born out of matter and remorseless biological competition. �Where some beings were born perfect as a gift from God, we earn ours, with our own struggle. �That is our unique experience. �All the bitching at God about how he can allow all this suffering in the world if he really loved us simply lacks perspective. �A lot of religious people make this complaint too; which shows only that they really haven't believed any of the promises made to them. �"I believed until my wife/husband died prematurely." �Apparently blissfully unaware till then that bad things happen. �

We aren't God's sheep. �We're his associates. �This is a serious fucking creation He's handed us, it's intense, and it does us honour to be equal to it. �

Quote:
Regardless of all of this, though, I still demand proof. Just someone suggesting the chance of something to me is insufficient for me to bow down to accepting such a trivial thing. There's a chance that Neil DeGrasse could come knocking on my door offering to teach me more about physics and to enter into some fantastic, amorous liaison with me (perhaps in some alternate dimension in time and space where bunnies sprout wings or something) - but I'm not going to accept that just for the sake of there being a speculative opportunity. The same logic is what applies to your point on pascal's wager.

I've spent a lot of time in the God vs Science thread on this question of evidence, so I won't repeat it here (I notice the thread's been deleted. �Shame. �I didn't realise they got taken down after a while). �

I don't have a problem with you criticising religionists and their actions. �I do enough of it myself. �I do have a problem with the one-sidedness of your statements. �You should at the very least have affection for the idea, for the possibility of a truly righteous God, even if you don't feel convinced; because some things will not force themselves upon you, you need to willingly invite them in. �Your definitions of evidence should not be framed in such a way that they exclude anything spiritual. �And you should not require proof of everything you believe in, sometimes a little evidence should be enough. �
Mystique
#43 Posted : Friday, August 24, 2007 7:03:20 PM(UTC)

[quote author=Jela link=1162636212/25#41 date=1187962346]I didn't say it made no sense under any conditions.  I already agreed that: "If God isn't really righteous, then, as Mystique says, fuck him, it's not worth being a part of His heaven".  What doesn't make much sense is turning down eternal happiness offered by a wise and loving God.  That is the possibility that doesn't interest you.[/quote]

There is no evidence that a wise and loving god even exists. In fact, if one considers their god to be omnipotent, then a wise and loving god isn't even compatible with our existence.

Quote:
It isn't exactly that He desires recognition.  He is pointing toward good things to come, that this is not all there is, offering solace, support and guidance.

There's no better person to give those things than oneself. The only constant thing that most people have in life is themselves. There's not a deity that can really offer all of that, and most religions who claim their deity guides them somehow rely on strange texts that have at least some extremely unethical statements as a guide.

Quote:
You are largely laying the blame at the right feet.  We are born into a world of terrors.  But most of the terror that we experience at the prospect of death, is the belief that this is the only life we will ever have.

Death is not the only suffering that people have in life. There's hunger and starvation, various abuses, debilitating injuries, disease, war ... though many of those may end in death, they can last for years before doing so.

Quote:
And much of the pain of suffering, is that we are using up time of the only life we have with it.

No, much of the pain and suffering is that it is pain and suffering. I know of few ill people who lament that too much time is consumed by the inconvenience of pain as their only complaint. Most just want the pain to end; the suffering to end.

Quote:
But think of it this way: Did your mother have a difficult labour?  When you were born, was it painful for you?  You might have been screaming your head off at the time, convinced you were having the most awful experience possible.  But what of it would you remember now, and what would it matter?

That's almost very nihilistic of you. Think of it this way: would you suggest to the starving men living under the bridge that their hunger is so unimportant that it compares to what an infant can't retain in memory of their suffering in birth? I wouldn't - I would never dream of minimizing people's suffering like that. When I have to counsel a rape victim, when I have to help out at the shelter, when I have to tend to the needs of sick friends - there's not a single moment in time where I would dismiss their suffering so carelessly. If there really was an eternal creature, omnipotent, loving and wise - then that creature is responsible for all that we see, and even the slightest bit of suffering should be borne full-force on its shoulders.

I've given birth to two children. Both were very ill when they were born, as was I. They did suffer, and though they don't remember it now, it doesn't really take away from the fact that they suffered and were it possible, of course I would go back and remove that suffering from them, even if they have no recollection of it.

Quote:
We are eternal beings.

You don't have proof of that.

Quote:
The time we spend here on earth is the blink of an eye.

There is no proof of this either - regardless, were I to grant you this saying, bear in mind that a blink of an eye with sand in it is still very uncomfortable and damaging to the eye, even if the sand is quickly removed and forgotten.

Quote:
The first moment of eyes opening to consciousness in a long and glorious career.  Whatever you suffer here, will be overcome, and in the end, all that will remain of the experience is the value it has given you; the strength, wisdom, patience and mercy.

Based on your logic, then, we can have this little anecdote. You know those door greeters at Wal-Mart? Well, say we have one sitting at the door, and for each person who enters, they lean to the side and pinch the individual as they walk in the door. It is only a few moments of suffering, but as each person exits the store, the greeter gives them a free gift and a sticker. Now, according to your logic, it would be okay for the greeter to pinch the individual, as long as they gave the individual something upon exiting the store. I would say, though, that the greeter is in the wrong, even if each and every person rapidly forgot that they had been pinched.

Quote:
God can and has created perfection, and it is here with us now.

I have yet to see a clear definition of perfection, much less something I would consider perfect. Of course, I have seen things that make me happy, and that are beautiful and wonderful, but this is not perfection. Even when examining the human body, we can see where we are flawed. We have vestigial organs that become inflamed and which can kill us if not removed at times, we have poorly aligned spines which are easily injured, fragile jawbones and nasal bridges which are broken easily, we are susceptible to numerous diseases and chronic conditions which can and sometimes do disable us for life. This isn't perfection by far. If we had perfection, we would not have famine, disease and war; we wouldn't suffer, and, hell, George Bush wouldn't be President.
Mystique
#44 Posted : Friday, August 24, 2007 7:04:25 PM(UTC)

Quote:
God can and has created perfection, and it is here with us now.  But He also created more.  We live in a universe of more than perfection.  We are a special project.  Creatures born out of matter and remorseless biological competition.

I will be sure to tell the next terminally ill person that I see that they should be happy because they are simply experiencing 'more than perfection.' A special project of God's at our own expense, and that they are clearly a privileged recipient of his fair utopia that is so far beyond the utopia of our imaginations that we've failed to recognize that pain is really our expanded euphoric experience. *Cue sentimental music* In all seriousness, though, this still sounds very much like a sick and sadistic answer to what I have stated. You almost seem to be saying that suffering is perfection - and if that is the case, then screw perfection, I don't want it.

Quote:
All the bitching at God about how he can allow all this suffering in the world if he really loved us simply lacks perspective.

I think you missed my point. Here is the essential outline of the problem. You have a description of god in which you claim:

1) God is omnipotent
2) God is loving
3) God is all-knowing
4) God intentionally allows (and perhaps even created) suffering

That combination of traits is incompatible. You're saying god is not powerless to help people, but chooses not to. You're also saying that this god is loving - but why would someone who loves another INTENTIONALLY do them harm or allow harm done to them? Let me give you a run-down of what is known as the argument from evil:

1) Suffering is a negative or wrong element - it is evil.
2) The world contains vast amounts of suffering and harmful events.
3) If an omnipotent being existed that also knew of the suffering and harmful events, then it could prevent such things.
4) An all-knowing (omniscient) being would know of the suffering and harmful events, even before it occurred.
5) If a being that is omnipresent and omniscient and suffering occurs, than said being has allowed it to occur, even intentionally allowed it to occur.
6) There is no proof of any corrective actions to the suffering to balance out or excuse the suffering.
7) An action is immoral if it has a harmful element and/or causes suffering which is not balanced out with a corrective action or event.
8) If an omniscient and omnipresent being has allowed suffering and harmful events to occur, they have committed an immoral act and it is aware of it.
9) Such a being is not morally perfect.
10) Given the dilemma of suffering and harmful events that exist, it is impossible for there to be a morally perfect, omniscient and omnipresent being.
11) Any deity described as being perfect, omniscient and omnipresent does not exist and cannot exist.

Bear in mind, this argument is not about bitching about some god that I don't believe in. It is about pointing out the flaws in believing in a god with the characteristics described. It is an outline of logic used when considering proposed traits of a deity. It isn't a lack of perspective, it is a legitimate complaint regarding the errors in making claims about perfection and deities.

Quote:
I've spent a lot of time in the God vs Science thread on this question of evidence, so I won't repeat it here (I notice the thread's been deleted.  Shame.  I didn't realise they got taken down after a while).

You still didn't provide proof. Regardless, I was disappointed to find a few threads deleted, including the one where I outlined some things for people regarding ethics and atheism. I don't know if only the religious debates were affected or if it was forum wide - but when I wrote to a moderator about it, they said they were hacked or something and those threads were deleted. Sad

Quote:
I don't have a problem with you criticising religionists and their actions.  I do enough of it myself.  I do have a problem with the one-sidedness of your statements.  You should at the very least have affection for the idea, for the possibility of a truly righteous God, even if you don't feel convinced; because some things will not force themselves upon you, you need to willingly invite them in.

I don't have affection nor distaste for others being religious all by itself. I do have severe distaste for when other people push their views on to me or otherwise using their views to harm others. This thread is a small example of that. It is no different than a child on a playground making fun of another for preferring a particular brand of clothing. Of course I'm not going to find such behavior appealing!

Furthermore, if someone could prove the existence of an eternal deity to me, I would have mixed feelings. I might be happy for some eternal existence with loved ones, but I would bear a very strong resentment towards such a being simply for all the things that they have done. I don't think it is unreasonable to hold such a being responsible for their actions - and that's exactly what I would do.

I don't invite things in without knowing full well what I'm investing and receiving. I don't operate that way, and find it terribly unsafe to do so.

(continued next post)
Mystique
#45 Posted : Friday, August 24, 2007 7:04:36 PM(UTC)

Quote:
Your definitions of evidence should not be framed in such a way that they exclude anything spiritual.

I base my definitions for proof on science. If spiritual concepts fail to meet that, then it is not my flaw that leads to such. Once such a concept passes scientific testing, then I will accept the concept.

Quote:
And you should not require proof of everything you believe in, sometimes a little evidence should be enough.

I don't think it is useful to sway my requirements for such extreme claims. As one scientist said, "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." Having rigid requirements for something that others claim has such eternal consequences and which others are using to affect the world in such a wide range of ways certainly fits into that statement. Such demanding situations necessitate demanding criteria. Furthermore, I am not terribly fond of people telling me what I should do unless they can have a rational backing for what they state. I'm quite good at determining what behavior is best for me at any given moment. You may be just fine and happy with very little to base your ideas on - but I'm not, nor do I think I will ever be.
Mystique
#46 Posted : Saturday, August 25, 2007 3:17:19 AM(UTC)

Something isn't wrong just because it isn't what you want, or because it is painful. �

God is aware of your pain and suffering, is capable of taking it away, and chooses not to until certain conditions are met. �He knew in advance that you would experience such pain, and such pain is a byproduct of His intentional creation. �He's perfectly capable of bearing responsibility for all of this. �

As you say, the infliction of pain can be justified if it serves some higher good. �You might drag your child kicking and screaming to the dentist, school or the bathroom to brush their teeth and still be a wise and loving parent. �As you say there needs to be a balance between cost and benefit. �Your assertion that God is evil is based on your assertion that you have proof of the cost, but not of the benefit. �But irrespective of whether you have proof of the benefit, if it exists then God is vindicated. �And if God exists, then the benefit exists. �Therefore is God exists He is also loving despite being omniscient, omnipotent and omnipresent. �

My perspective does not diminish the magnitude or importance of people's suffering. �Their suffering may be said to be the same size, but occupy that space in a larger existence. �From your perspective, they occupy a larger space in a smaller existence. �Of course people want their suffering to end, and the more hope and reason they have to believe that it will, and be replaced with something better, the better they will be able to bear it. �They might even be able to bear it willingly. �It is not that the pain becomes ecstasy, but human beings are able to experience more than one sensation or emotion at a time. �They can experience pain and happiness at the same time, suffering and profundity, bitterness and sweetness, good and bad. �

People can derive benefit from suffering, and knowledge of the benefits can make the suffering easier to bear. �I don't want anyone pinching me on the way into Walmart if all I'm getting out of it is a toaster. �But if the gift is good enough I might be willing to forgive and forget. �

The question of defining perfection is an issue, but by some definitions mathematics and what it describes in the general case might be called perfect, and of course God is perfect, and both these are here with us now. �The material body of human beings is decidedly not perfect, good as it is sometimes. �

You're still harping on about "proof". �That's just your mania. �It's irrelevant to the argument and won't be satisfied. �You can have evidence. �You can't have proof. �It's that simple. �Of course you are free to make up such rules for yourself about what you are prepared to believe in, and to live in the reality that you have defined for yourself as a result. �But you shouldn't imagine that such as position is the proper outcome of reason, because reason is capable of recognising its own limitations. �What you are proposing is an extreme, a personal belief system adopted from a professional methodology. �

I have a great deal to base my ideas on, but a lot of it doesn't meet your criteria of evidence, or can be called science. �Science interests me, but so does other departments of reality. �I have no interest in attempting to control you but am merely expressing a view, as you have been about the evils of religious people and their God. �It seems a pity to me that you should only want to occupy a small corner of reality, when you experience so much suffering so void of meaning, and that you should want to promulgate this view. �

Mystique
#47 Posted : Saturday, August 25, 2007 4:13:28 AM(UTC)

[quote author=Jela link=1162636212/25#45 date=1188011839]Something isn't wrong just because it isn't what you want, or because it is painful.[/quote]

Intentionally causing suffering is wrong. That's the basic point to the argument. Allowing suffering when one is reasonably able to prevent it is also wrong. Then there's the further concept of if a deity created everything, then that deity created suffering. That is the basic point behind the problem of evil.

Quote:
God is aware of your pain and suffering, is capable of taking it away, and chooses not to until certain conditions are met.

If that were true, then god is not a nice being. It would be like me seeing a kitten trapped on my front porch, starving to death and doing nothing to stop that from happening while I had full resources and knowledge to remedy the problem.

Quote:
He knew in advance that you would experience such pain, and such pain is a byproduct of His intentional creation.

That only supports what I was saying earlier - intentionally creating a situation in which others suffer is wrong. That's like someone having a baby to intentionally perform torture on them.

Quote:
As you say, the infliction of pain can be justified if it serves some higher good.  You might drag your child kicking and screaming to the dentist, school or the bathroom to brush their teeth and still be a wise and loving parent.

No, I'd be a stupid parent for not realizing there's ways to get kids to a dentist without fighting with them. I don't have to fight with my kids to get them to a doctor or dentist.

Quote:
As you say there needs to be a balance between cost and benefit.

That's not really what I said - I said there was no evidence that there is a benefit. That statement being necessary because people attempt to make arguments like yours.

Quote:
Your assertion that God is evil is based on your assertion that you have proof of the cost, but not of the benefit.

If you have evidence of a benefit, then present it - and be sure that your evidence outweighs every ounce of evil in the world. Otherwise, my claim is correct - there is not proof that there is some benefit to all this that outweighs every bit of suffering.

Quote:
But irrespective of whether you have proof of the benefit, if it exists then God is vindicated.

If 'ifs' and 'buts' were candy and nuts then we'd all have food to eat (and consequentally, dentists to pay). If puff the magic dragon existed green scales would fall like rain. If Peter piper picked a pack of pickled peppers, he'd better hope he's not allergic. If Tom Cruise met lord Xenu tomorrow, we'd put him in a mental institution. 'Ifs' are not evidence all by themselves - and they're certainly not worth using to make major decisions from without proof that the dependent statement is valid.

Quote:
And if God exists, then the benefit exists.  Therefore is God exists He is also loving despite being omniscient, omnipotent and omnipresent.

The outline I gave before is a refutation of this statement. Please re-read the 'problem of evil' portion of earlier posts.

Quote:
My perspective does not diminish the magnitude or importance of people's suffering.

I think it does. I think that your statements are an absurd minimization of other people's suffering - to the point that it is offensive.

Quote:
Their suffering may be said to be the same size, but occupy that space in a larger existence.  From your perspective, they occupy a larger space in a smaller existence.

If I have a box that is 2" squared and I put it in a box that is 3" squared and then remove it from there and put it in a box that is 9" squared, the 2" box is the same size no matter which other box it is in. Furthermore, you have yet to prove that this extensive amount of time in which you are diluting suffering even exists. Your 9" box doesn't even have evidence, while we have solid proof of my 3" box.

Quote:
Of course people want their suffering to end, and the more hope and reason they have to believe that it will, and be replaced with something better, the better they will be able to bear it.

Interestingly, there's no evidence that people who are religious bear pain any less than people who are non-religious.

Quote:
People can derive benefit from suffering, and knowledge of the benefits can make the suffering easier to bear.

If there was knowledge to be had - but even then, this is all on the 'ifs' again. Even if there are one or two people in a crowd of a hundred cancer patients that found solace in being religious while in pain, there's still the other 98 or 99 that are suffering all the same.

Quote:
I don't want anyone pinching me on the way into Walmart if all I'm getting out of it is a toaster.  But if the gift is good enough I might be willing to forgive and forget.

You being able to forgive and forget doesn't make their actions right. In fact, the notion that there's even a need to forgive indicates that the individual did something wrong which necessitates forgiveness.

Quote:
The question of defining perfection is an issue, but by some definitions mathematics and what it describes in the general case might be called perfect, and of course God is perfect, and both these are here with us now.

Regarding mathematics, you've clearly never pondered large fractal equations. Also, you still haven't proven god.

(continued next post)
Mystique
#48 Posted : Saturday, August 25, 2007 4:13:37 AM(UTC)

Quote:
You're still harping on about "proof".  That's just your mania.  It's irrelevant to the argument and won't be satisfied.

It is entirely relevant. You want me to just accept what you say, then you need proof for it - otherwise all you say is pointless - no more valid than any other religious claim.

Quote:
I have no interest in attempting to control you but am merely expressing a view, as you have been about the evils of religious people and their God.

I get the vibe that you forget what this thread was about. This thread was started because someone claimed that atheism was dangerous or evil. I haven't targeted religious people in any manner remotely close to this. I don't think that religious people themselves are necessarily evil - I have, however, pointed out some things that religious dogma has done historically. That doesn't mean that I'm blaming all religious people, though.

Quote:
It seems a pity to me that you should only want to occupy a small corner of reality, when you experience so much suffering so void of meaning, and that you should want to promulgate this view.

I don't really suffer much, and I have lots of meaning in the things that I do. This argument has nothing to do with the meaning that I get, the purpose I have in my life. I have the opportunity to make what I can out of life. Thus, I can find purpose in raising my two beautiful daughters, in volunteering for people, and in simply bringing more pleasantness to people around me. I can find happiness in many things that I do. I find joy in dancing, which I do regularly, and I enjoy my work. Don't make the mistake of thinking that because I point out negative things in life to counter some argument someone else makes that all my world is consumed in what I've pointed out. Assuming that all that my persona consists of is these few words on the screen might be enough for me to take pity on you Tongue

I find joy in many things in life, and I see no reason to claim some supernatural thing in order to do so. It is an incredible experience to watch flowers bloom, to read books with my children, to enjoy the sunshine and to feel the movements of my body as I dance.
Mystique
#49 Posted : Saturday, August 25, 2007 10:17:13 AM(UTC)

This thread and the God vs Science thread are much the same discussion: the relative merits of the religious vs the irreligious and an examination of the arguments for and against. �

It would be nice to have a reasonable discussion of the subject, but your arguments tend to abandon reason and logic when it suits your immediate goal. �Your goal is driven by emotion, and some of your arguments only have the guise and pretense of reason. �Ultimately you don't believe in God because you're pissed at not getting your way. �All this call to logic and evidence is just so much confused posturing. �This is not to say that there are not reasonable grounds to doubt that God exists, only that some of your arguments are not reasonable or consistent. �You willfully overlook the meanings in some of my arguments. �It's disappointing when you turn to deceptive and distorting arguments just because you can. �If this is worth doing at all, it's worth doing for real. �

It's worth keeping in mind when judging the actions of God, the special circumstances that being God entails. �When we save a kitten or protect our children, we do so in an already created reality over which we have only limited control. �If we had absolute control over the existences of all other beings, we could not act according to the same simplistic and naive morality. �Protecting your children from all harm if you could succeed in doing so completely, would not necessarily be in their best interests. �Even earthly parents must learn sometimes to restrain their natural tendency to want to protect their children from all harm and difficulty. �While ways may be found to get your children to the dentist without them kicking and screaming, this may not always be the case, but getting them there nevertheless may be necessary. �(I should not have to think up these sorts of explanations for you.) �It is important that the universe hold the potential of danger. �As you say, the question is whether you can "reasonably" intervene. �Or more to the point would be if you could "wisely" intervene. �Expecting God to step in and save us from dangers is a tricky request if you also want to be free and to have self-respect. �Ultimately He does save us if we want to be saved, but He does not save us from all dangers and hardships, but from mortality and its limitations. �But his salvation is a long term plan of increasing happiness through personal evolution, and we are only at the very beginning of this. �God is vindicated by how grateful we will one day be for the opportunity of being able to participate in the adventure of living in His universe, regardless of what has happened to us here, or how long it takes us to forgive Him for it.
Mystique
#50 Posted : Saturday, August 25, 2007 4:54:44 PM(UTC)

[quote author=Jela link=1162636212/25#48 date=1188037033]This thread and the God vs Science thread are much the same discussion: the relative merits of the religious vs the irreligious and an examination of the arguments for and against.[/quote]

Are they really? It seems to me that the conversations have evolved to people disliking my stance and me having to explain why their arguments are not logically or scientifically valid. However, the thread started out with someone claiming that my stance is outright dangerous.

Quote:
It would be nice to have a reasonable discussion of the subject, but your arguments tend to abandon reason and logic when it suits your immediate goal.

You just stated in another post that you could not provide proof of your stances. Logic and science would deal with proof. I have defaulted to requesting nothing but logic and science to back up your stance. I've yet to extend my discussion any further.

Quote:
Your goal is driven by emotion, and some of your arguments only have the guise and pretense of reason.

I have yet to say, "I am an atheist because it makes me feel good." That would be an emotional appeal. However, that has been a reason that you have cited more than once for your religious stance. As much as I am disenchanted by Freudian references, you do seem to be projecting.

Quote:
Ultimately you don't believe in God because you're pissed at not getting your way.

No, and this makes me wonder if you understand most of what I have written. Most of what I have stated are valid arguments against things you have presented - some things that I have written are based upon very well-known philosophical ideas (for example, the problem of evil). I don't make those statements because I'm upset at not getting my way, but because they are valid points against statements you have made.

Quote:
All this call to logic and evidence is just so much confused posturing.

Not at all - if you have it, it should be of little concern to you. There's no confusion there, it is a request for clear evidence. If you had claimed that you woke up to a purple, blue, and orange polka-dot sky this morning, I would request as much then as well.

Quote:
This is not to say that there are not reasonable grounds to doubt that God exists, only that some of your arguments are not reasonable or consistent.

Rather than just asserting that they are not reasonable or consistent, how about outlining why you think that? Just saying "that's unreasonable" isn't going to get you very far. Give me some valid reasons why you think that.

Quote:
You willfully overlook the meanings in some of my arguments.

If you have a meaning that you think I'm missing, then feel free to point it out if you think I'm too dense to understand it.

Quote:
It's disappointing when you turn to deceptive and distorting arguments just because you can.

Where have I been deceptive? Don't accuse me of such without evidence. I'm probably the most honest person in debate that I know of, so that does make me upset as an accusation. I try to be very careful with my words just so that my discussions can be honest. If you don't have the evidence, don't make the accusation.

Quote:
If this is worth doing at all, it's worth doing for real.

This isn't real?

Quote:
It's worth keeping in mind when judging the actions of God, the special circumstances that being God entails.  When we save a kitten or protect our children, we do so in an already created reality over which we have only limited control.  If we had absolute control over the existences of all other beings, we could not act according to the same simplistic and naive morality.

And yet, you used the example of children before as if it would pertain to the argument. Indeed, you've used an anthropomorphic sense of morality when discussing God throughout this conversation. Regardless, if God doesn't adhere to our 'simplistic' morality - then why would we not allow such things as rabid vigilantism or people torturing and punishing others in the name of their deity? Those people consider themselves as being with a higher form of morality ... and yet, it is disallowed for a reason. At this point, there has yet to be any reason to believe that this alleged morality that you claim God has is even justified. Bear in mind, you claim your god is omnipotent. Were that the case, he can do anything, anything at all. Yet, he doesn't. According to you, he passes by the porch daily and watches the kitten in a cage sit and starve to death while he could bring it food with the snap of a finger.

Quote:
Protecting your children from all harm if you could succeed in doing so completely, would not necessarily be in their best interests.

I would think it is. Then again, I know how to teach my children without them getting hurt.

Quote:
Even earthly parents must learn sometimes to restrain their natural tendency to want to protect their children from all harm and difficulty.

Difficulty is not the same as harm and until this point wasn't mentioned. Children can endure difficulties and be just fine. Regardless, let's not ignore that we're talking about an omnipotent god here - if god is omnipotent, he would be able to teach us anything, in any simple manner available. If god is omnipotent, god could teach us without all the suffering.